How to write the Frenet equations using the vector gradient?

In summary, the equation Georg Joos is looking for is this: $$\vec{v}=(ds/dt) \hat{T}$$ and $$\vec{a}=(d^2 s/dt^2) \hat{T}+(ds/dt)^2 \kappa \hat{N}$$. Hope this is helpful.
HaniZaheer
Hey. I am trying to self study from "Theoretical Physics" by Georg Joos and am stuck on this particular question. The question asks for the reader to write the equations $$\frac {dt} {ds} = \frac {\vec n} {\rho}$$ and $$\frac {db} {ds} = - \tau \vec n$$ using vector gradient. I don't even know where to begin. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm familiar with the first of these equations, which is ## d \hat{T}/ds=\kappa \hat{N} ## in the notation I am familiar with where ## \hat{T} ## is a unit tangent vector along the path and ## \hat{N} ## is the unit vector perpendicular to it, with ## \kappa ## being the curvature. I googled it and found ## B ## in your second equation to be defined as a unit vector ## \hat{B}=\hat{T} \times \hat{N} ##, but I have not verified the accuracy of the second equation. In any case, I think I have something that might be useful. Along the curve x=x(t), y=y(t), and z=z(t), define ## R=(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2} ##. If I computed it correctly, ## R \nabla R=\vec{R} ## and ## d \vec{R}/ds=\hat{T} ## so that ##d(R \nabla R)/ds=\hat{T} ## and from this you can take another d/ds to generate your first equation containing a gradient operation. Perhaps this is what you are looking for. Hopefully it is helpful.

Likes HaniZaheer
Charles Link said:
I'm familiar with the first of these equations, which is ## d \hat{T}/ds=\kappa \hat{N} ## in the notation I am familiar with where ## \hat{T} ## is a unit tangent vector along the path and ## \hat{N} ## is the unit vector perpendicular to it, with ## \kappa ## being the curvature. I googled it and found ## B ## in your second equation to be defined as a unit vector ## \hat{B}=\hat{T} \times \hat{N} ##, but I have not verified the accuracy of the second equation. In any case, I think I have something that might be useful. Along the curve x=x(t), y=y(t), and z=z(t), define ## R=(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{1/2} ##. If I computed it correctly, ## R \nabla R=\vec{R} ## and ## d \vec{R}/ds=\hat{T} ## so that ##d(R \nabla R)/ds=\hat{T} ## and from this you can take another d/ds to generate your first equation containing a gradient operation. Perhaps this is what you are looking for. Hopefully it is helpful.
Thanks for the help. But the form of the equations the question was looking for was to sort of not use derivative and instead use vector gradient. The solution to the problem is as follows: $$\vec t \cdot \nabla \vec t = \frac {\vec n} {\rho}$$ and $$\vec t \cdot \nabla \vec b = - \vec \tau \vec n$$ It's rather confusing.

For this one it helps to have the answer and then work to it. I have something that is close to showing the result for your first equation: ## \hat{T}=\hat{T}(s)=\hat{T}(x,y,z)## and ## d \hat{T}=\frac{\partial \hat{T}}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial \hat{T}}{\partial y}dy+\frac{\partial \hat{T}}{\partial z}dz ## and ## d \vec{s}=dx \hat{i} +dy \hat{j} +dz \hat{k} =\hat{T}ds ## Thereby ## d \hat{T}=(\hat{T} \cdot \nabla) \hat{T}ds=(d \vec{s} \cdot \nabla) \hat{T} ##. This gives the result ## d \hat{T}/ds=(\hat{T} \cdot \nabla) \hat{T} ##.

Likes HaniZaheer
An item of interest: I saw the first of these equations in a calculus textbook by Purcell where they write velocity ## \vec{v}=(ds/dt) \hat{T} ## and ## \hat{T}=\cos{\phi} \hat{i}+\sin{\phi} \hat{j} ##. They then find the acceleration ## \vec{a}=d \vec{v} /dt ## and work in two dimensions. ## d \hat{T} /dt=(d \hat{T} /ds)(ds/dt) ## and ## d \hat{T} /ds=(d \hat{T} /d \phi)(d \phi /ds) ##. The ## d \hat{T} /d \phi =\hat{N} ## where ## \hat{N} ## is perpendicular to ## \hat{T} ##. (Take the dot product of ## \hat{T} ## and ## d \hat{T}/ d \phi=-\sin{\phi} \hat{i} + \cos{\phi} \hat{j} ## to see this). Anyway the ## \vec{a}=(d^2 s/dt^2) \hat{T}+(ds/dt)^2 \kappa \hat{N} ## where ## \kappa=d \phi /ds= 1/r ## where ## r ## is the instantaneous radius for the curvature ## \kappa ##. The equations in this form are quite useful and I even used them to solve a problem (one that I thought up) of having an applied force in the ## \hat{N} ## direction (always perpendicular to the velocity) that increases linearly with time. The question is, does the object speed up and what path does it follow? The Frenet equations in this formalism yielded a very interesting solution. Notice also in the 2-D case that ## d \vec{B} /ds=0 ##. For the 3-D case, the ## d \vec{B} / ds ## is essentially telling you how quickly the instantaneous circle that occurs in two dimensions is changing its plane over the course of the motion.

Last edited:
Besides my post #5 (please read post #5), I could give a little more info on this method which may or may not be spelled out clearly in the descriptions of these equations. Assuming the trajectory is not a straight line, the two unit vectors ## \hat{T}(t) = \hat{T} ## and ## \hat{T}(t+dt)=\hat{T} +d \hat{T} ## determine the plane of the trajectory at a given time interval from ## t ## to ## t+dt ##. Perpendicular to ## \hat{T} ## and also in this plane is the unit vector ## \hat{N} ##. The unit vector ## \hat{B} ## is normal to this plane and defined by ## \hat{B}=\hat{T} \times \hat{N} ##. Just maybe this helps clarify a couple of the concepts related to these equations. ...editing... ## d \hat{B} /ds=d(\hat{T} \times \hat{N})/ds=(d \hat{T}/ds) \times \hat{N}+\hat{T} \times (d \hat{N}/ds) ##. Now ## d\hat{T}/ds ## points along ## \hat{N} ## from the first Frenet equation so that only the second term is non-zero. Taking the derivative of the first equation, ## d \hat{N}/ds=d((1/\kappa)(d \hat{T}/ds))/ds ## so that ## d \hat{B}/ds ## depends on ## d^2 \hat{T}/ds^2 ##. Also ## d \hat{N}/ds ## can point along ## \hat{T} ## or ## \hat{B} ## so that ## \hat{T} \times (d\hat{N}/ds) ## must point along ## \hat{T} \times \hat{B}=\hat{N} ## and thereby the second Frenet equation ## d\hat{B}/ds=-\tau \hat{N} ## with some proportionality constant which they call ## -\tau ##. There is a 3rd Frenet equation (that I see in a google) ## d \hat{N}/ds=-\kappa \hat{T}+\tau \hat{B} ##, and beginning with ## \hat{N}=\hat{B} \times \hat{T} ## this one is readily derived from the previous expressions.

Last edited:
Besides posts #5 and #6, there is one item that arises in these unit vectors that puzzled me momentarily: If ## \hat{T} ## undergoes an infinitesimal change, why is this change always perpendicular to ## \hat{T} ## ? If a ## d\hat{T} ## arises in the ## \hat{N} ## direction, doesn't ## \hat{T} ## need to change by some amount in the ## \hat{T} ## direction, e.g. become somewhat shorter to keep the resultant vector a unit vector? And the answer is the amount of change(shrinkage) is second order in "dT" so that ## d \hat{T} /ds ## will have no component in the ## \hat{T} ## direction.

Likes JuanC97
Charles Link said:
Besides posts #5 and #6, there is one item that arises in these unit vectors that puzzled me momentarily: If ## \hat{T} ## undergoes an infinitesimal change, why is this change always perpendicular to ## \hat{T} ## ? If a ## d\hat{T} ## arises in the ## \hat{N} ## direction, doesn't ## \hat{T} ## need to change by some amount in the ## \hat{T} ## direction, e.g. become somewhat shorter to keep the resultant vector a unit vector? And the answer is the amount of change(shrinkage) is second order in "dT" so that ## d \hat{T} /ds ## will have no component in the ## \hat{T} ## direction.

u → unit vector

u ⋅ u = | u |2 = 1

d( u ⋅ u ) / ds = d( | u |2 ) / ds = d( 1 ) / ds = 0 = u ⋅ ( du / ds ) + ( du / ds ) ⋅ u = 2 u ( du / ds )

Likes Charles Link
swampwiz said:
u → unit vector

u ⋅ u = | u |2 = 1

d( u ⋅ u ) / ds = d( | u |2 ) / ds = d( 1 ) / ds = 0 = u ⋅ ( du / ds ) + ( du / ds ) ⋅ u = 2 u ( du / ds )
Yes, that proves it as well.

Related to How to write the Frenet equations using the vector gradient?

1. What are the Frenet equations?

The Frenet equations are a set of differential equations that describe the geometric properties of a curve in three-dimensional space. They are used to calculate the curvature and torsion of a curve at a given point.

2. What is the vector gradient?

The vector gradient is a mathematical operator that calculates the rate of change of a scalar field in a given direction. In the context of Frenet equations, it is used to represent the direction and magnitude of the curve's tangent, normal, and binormal vectors.

3. How is the vector gradient used in writing the Frenet equations?

The vector gradient is used to calculate the derivative of the tangent, normal, and binormal vectors, which are essential components of the Frenet equations. It is also used to determine the curvature and torsion of the curve at a specific point.

4. What are the steps to write the Frenet equations using the vector gradient?

The steps to write the Frenet equations using the vector gradient are as follows:

• Determine the position vector of the curve at a given point.
  • Calculate the first and second derivatives of the position vector.
  • Normalize the first derivative to obtain the tangent vector.
  • Take the cross product of the first and second derivatives to obtain the binormal vector.
  • Normalize the binormal vector to obtain the normal vector.
  • Use the vector gradient to calculate the derivatives of the tangent, normal, and binormal vectors.
  • Plug the derivatives into the Frenet equations to calculate the curvature and torsion of the curve at the given point.

5. Are there any applications of the Frenet equations using the vector gradient?

Yes, there are many applications of the Frenet equations using the vector gradient in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze curves in three-dimensional space, such as the shape of a rope, a rollercoaster track, or the trajectory of a moving object. Additionally, they are used in computer graphics to create smooth and realistic curves in animations and video games.