1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to derive the formula for tan(-1)(z) ~ Complex variables

1. Mar 21, 2007 #1
    I have to prove that

tan^(-1)(z) = i/2 * log[(i+z)/(i-z)]

2. Relevant equations

sin^(-1)(z) = -i * log[iz + (1-z^2)^(1/2)]
    cos^(-1)(z) = -i * log[z + i(1-z^2)^(1/2)]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried a number of attemps.

I first tried the most obvious and I did sin^(-1)(z) / cos^(-1)(z) an I cancelled out the i's but I've never ever been good with logs so not sure what I can work with

I also tried using sinx = [e^(iz)-e^(-ix)] / 2i divided by cosx = [e^(ix) + e^(-ix)]/2

I cancelled out a few things and ended up with xie^(iy) - 2e^(iy) + xie^(-y)

and I can't even do anything with that because there are no square powers so I can't factorise... so I know thats wrong too.. I've looked up how to derive the sin^(-1) and it was done in a similar fashion using sinx = [e^(iz)-e^(-ix)] / 2i and then letting k = e^(ix) and you end up with a quadratic and can use the Quadratic formula to get the answer... but I cant' see how that will work for tan^(-1) any info would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The trick to doing these is to remember that exp(i*z)=cos(z)+i*sin(z) even if z is complex. So you can write tan(z)=(-i)*(exp(i*z)-exp(-i*z))/(exp(i*z)+exp(-i*z)). Now when you realize exp(-i*z)=1/exp(i*z), inverting it is just solving a quadratic equation.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  4. Mar 21, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, take q=exp(i*z).

tan(z)=(-i)*(q-1/q)/(q+1/q)

i*tan(z)*(q^2+1)=q^2-1

q^2=(1-i*tan(z))/(1+i*tan(z))

Now q^2=exp(2*i*z). Can you take it from there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?