How to derive the formula for tan(-1)(z) ~ Complex variables

In summary, to prove that tan^(-1)(z) = i/2 * log[(i+z)/(i-z)], you can use the fact that exp(i*z)=cos(z)+i*sin(z) for complex z and let q=exp(i*z). By writing out the formula for tan(z) in terms of q and rearranging, we can solve for q^2 and then use the definition of q to get the desired result.
laura_a
I have to prove that

tan^(-1)(z) = i/2 * log[(i+z)/(i-z)]

Homework Equations

sin^(-1)(z) = -i * log[iz + (1-z^2)^(1/2)]
cos^(-1)(z) = -i * log[z + i(1-z^2)^(1/2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a number of attemps.

I first tried the most obvious and I did sin^(-1)(z) / cos^(-1)(z) an I canceled out the i's but I've never ever been good with logs so not sure what I can work with

I also tried using sinx = [e^(iz)-e^(-ix)] / 2i divided by cosx = [e^(ix) + e^(-ix)]/2

I canceled out a few things and ended up with xie^(iy) - 2e^(iy) + xie^(-y)

and I can't even do anything with that because there are no square powers so I can't factorise... so I know that's wrong too.. I've looked up how to derive the sin^(-1) and it was done in a similar fashion using sinx = [e^(iz)-e^(-ix)] / 2i and then letting k = e^(ix) and you end up with a quadratic and can use the Quadratic formula to get the answer... but I cant' see how that will work for tan^(-1) any info would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick to doing these is to remember that exp(i*z)=cos(z)+i*sin(z) even if z is complex. So you can write tan(z)=(-i)*(exp(i*z)-exp(-i*z))/(exp(i*z)+exp(-i*z)). Now when you realize exp(-i*z)=1/exp(i*z), inverting it is just solving a quadratic equation.

Last edited:
Ok, take q=exp(i*z).

tan(z)=(-i)*(q-1/q)/(q+1/q)

i*tan(z)*(q^2+1)=q^2-1

q^2=(1-i*tan(z))/(1+i*tan(z))

Now q^2=exp(2*i*z). Can you take it from there?

1. What is the formula for tan(-1)(z)?

The formula for tan(-1)(z) is arctan(z) = tan-1(z) = atan(z), where z is a complex variable.

2. How is the formula for tan(-1)(z) derived?

The formula for tan(-1)(z) can be derived using the inverse trigonometric identity tan-1(z) = sin-1(z)/cos-1(z). By using the complex representation of sine and cosine, the formula can be further simplified to arctan(z) = (i/2)ln((1+iz)/(1-iz)).

3. What are the properties of the formula for tan(-1)(z)?

Some properties of the formula for tan(-1)(z) include: it is an odd function, meaning arctan(-z) = -arctan(z); it has a principal branch in the range (-π/2, π/2); and it is multivalued, with an infinite number of solutions due to the periodic nature of the complex tangent function.

4. How is the formula for tan(-1)(z) used in complex analysis?

The formula for tan(-1)(z) is used in complex analysis to calculate the inverse tangent of complex numbers. It is also used in the construction of other complex trigonometric functions, such as the complex hyperbolic tangent function.

5. Are there any practical applications of the formula for tan(-1)(z)?

Yes, the formula for tan(-1)(z) has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used in the calculation of phase angles in AC circuits, in the analysis of complex vector fields, and in the mapping of points on a complex plane in computer graphics.