1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to determine a lens width?

1. Dec 18, 2009 #1
    I am wondering... say an object was put directly on a lens and you wanted the projected image to focus at around 3 cm on the other side. How do you determine how wide the lens has to be?
    (please see attachment)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2009 #2
    "how wide" in itself is not enough to specify this, since the angle of incedence depends on the curvature of the lens. you must look for a lens wth the correct focal length, where
    1/f = 1/u + 1/v (if i'm remembering correctly)

the top bit of this page explains...
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/lenseq.html

4. Dec 18, 2009 #3
    Ah, so it is also determined by the shape. However, i expect it would need to be a convergent lens type and assume it needs to be like a () shaped lens. The problem is however, that this equation can help find focal length but not describe how the lens itself will be shaped.

5. Dec 19, 2009 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Placing an object directly in contact with a lens (any lens) is not a good way to form an image any finite distance away from the lens. Why do you want to do this?

6. Dec 19, 2009 #5
    Simply curious if its possible. I'm not sure it is, which is why i'm wondering. What about if the object is a very small distance from the lens, like say 1 mm. Can you focus the image on the other side 3 cm away?

7. Dec 19, 2009 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sure, if the focal length of the lens is correct. That's how a microscope objective works.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook