How to determine the denominator/ nominator of a limit

• Thread starter lilliv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: This range of values for x ensures that the absolute value of the expression is less than 2d, which is less than e as e is set to epsilon. This proves the statement that lim x->1 ([5x + 1]/[x^2 + x + 1]) < e. In summary, the solution uses the formal definition of a limit to prove that the expression is less than epsilon by choosing appropriate values for x within a certain range.
lilliv
This is a problem and solution from my calculus course.

e = epsilon, d = delta

Prove directly using the formal definition: lim x-> 1 ([5x + 1]/[x^2 + x + 1]) < e

Solution:
abs([5x + 1] / [x^2 + x + 1] - 2) < e, we assume d < 0.1

abs([5x + 1] / [x^2 + x + 1] - 2)
= abs([5x + 1 - 2(x^2 + x + 1)] / [x^2 + x + 1])
= abs([2x^2 - 3x + 1] / [x^2 + x + 1]) * abs(x-1)
<abs([2]/[0^2 + 0 + 1]) * abs(x-1)
< 2d

I understand most of the solution except for the second last line, where values have been chosen for x (the upper bound and lower bound, I think). I know that the goal is to minimize the denominator and maximize the numerator. However, I am thoroughly confused as to how the upper and lower values for x are determined.

If anyone could explain how these x values are chosen, I would really appreciate it :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The upper and lower values for x chosen in this solution are determined by the delta, d. Since the goal is to find a range of x-values such that the absolute value of the expression is less than epsilon (e), the denominator must be minimized. The lower bound for x is determined by choosing the smallest possible value of x that is greater than 1-d. Similarly, the upper bound is determined by choosing the largest possible value of x that is less than 1+d. In this case, since d is set to 0.1, the lower bound for x is 1-0.1 = 0.9 and the upper bound is 1+0.1 = 1.1.

1. How do I determine the denominator and numerator of a limit?

To determine the denominator and numerator of a limit, you need to identify the function that represents the limit and then find the terms that are in the denominator and numerator. These terms will typically include variables or constants that are raised to a power or have a coefficient.

2. Can I use algebra to find the denominator and numerator of a limit?

Yes, you can use algebra to simplify the function and identify the terms in the denominator and numerator. This can make it easier to evaluate the limit and determine the behavior of the function as it approaches a certain value.

3. Do I need to know the value of the limit to determine the denominator and numerator?

No, you do not need to know the value of the limit to determine the denominator and numerator. However, knowing the value of the limit can help you identify any potential issues or errors in your calculation.

4. How do I handle indeterminate forms when determining the denominator and numerator?

Indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞, can occur when determining the denominator and numerator of a limit. In these cases, you will need to use techniques such as L'Hospital's rule or factoring to simplify the function and determine the limit.

5. Are there any specific rules or guidelines for determining the denominator and numerator of a limit?

Yes, there are certain rules and guidelines that can help you determine the denominator and numerator of a limit. These include identifying the highest power of the variable in the function and using the properties of limits, such as the sum, product, and quotient rules.