How to determine torque required to spin a fan?

In summary, torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object and is typically measured in units of newton-meters or foot-pounds. The torque required to spin a fan is affected by factors such as the size and weight of the fan blades, speed of rotation, and air resistance. To determine the torque required, one can use a torque calculation formula based on the force applied and the radius of the fan blades. However, a motor's horsepower rating cannot accurately determine the torque required for a fan.
Spoolx
So I want to design a propeller that will slow down a motor and I want to know what formulas or equations I would use to calculate that torque.
Also, if I decided I wanted to run it in a fluid, what it just be a matter of density change?

I have attached a picture of what I want to do.

Thanks

Attachments

• fan.gif
    fan.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 672
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's mass moment of inertia will have a part to play in it

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to an object. In the case of spinning a fan, torque is the force that is required to rotate the blades.

2. How is torque measured?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N-m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). It can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the torque required to spin a fan?

The torque required to spin a fan is affected by several factors, including the size and weight of the fan blades, the speed at which the fan is spinning, and the air resistance or load that the fan is working against.

4. How can I determine the torque required to spin a fan?

To determine the torque required to spin a fan, you will need to know the weight and dimensions of the fan blades, as well as the speed at which you want the fan to spin. You can then use a torque calculation formula, such as T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and r is the radius of the fan blades.

5. Can I use a motor's horsepower rating to determine the torque required to spin a fan?

No, a motor's horsepower rating cannot accurately determine the torque required to spin a fan. Horsepower is a measure of power, not torque. While a motor's horsepower can give you an idea of its overall strength, it does not directly correlate to the torque required to spin a fan.