How to determine zinc in a plant.

• Thread starter kenshi64
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plant Zinc
In summary, an expert summarizer would say that to extract zinc from a plant, one would need to find a method that does not involve using a colorimeter and then determine the concentration of zinc using an atomic absorption spectrometer.
kenshi64
Which would you prefer? I'm calculating the amount of zinc absorbed by a particular plant (yes, in theory it does accumulate zinc- B.Juncea).

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Question doesn't make sense. How are you going to use AAS without a calibration curve?

Woops! ignore my ignorance, I was just told that, well doesn't the AAS give you the concentration directly? Gosh, just pointless maches *argh*

CHANGE: AAS or COLORIMETER

How would you extract zinc from a plant?

Hi!

So I basically need to find out how I'm supposed to extract zinc from a plant and its methodology and chemicals required. How do I do this? I found one article that is rather incomplete, it just says zinc was extracted using 0.1N HCl and not whether the plant's powder was treated with it or the entire plant was treated with it.

Here's a "www.sc.chula.ac.th/nrc-ehwm-fs/research/journal/5.pdf" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Your reference has some clues (there are citations about preparing samples of soil). Start with these and work through references that will be found in those initial citations. Literature research always gives clues about how to proceed and achieve reproducibility in any analysis.

Another reference (found in many science libraries) would be the A.O.A.C Methods which are matrix specific analyses for foodstuffs, crops, soil, and other agricultural i.e. They can be somewhat difficult to navigate but official methods can be found for plant and soil analysis.

Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC INTERNATIONAL,18th Edition

Wiki AOAC International...

Urgent: Some complexing agents for zinc.

Hi, I am to extract Zinc from plant tissue, with 0.1N HCl. But since its colorless I cannot determine the concentration(using the colorimeter) of zinc without adding a chemical that forms a complex with zinc and has a color.

Have you followed MrSid's hints?

Sorry, that's beyond me! :O I'm just a 17 year old guy! Please sympathize with me, this is tough enough with so much chemistry that's waay about my level!

I suppose then that you don't have an atomic absorption spectrometer at hand but only a colorimeter.
Before determining the concentration of Zn usin colorimetry, you will have to separate it from other elements. That's all rather complicated.
I found an old article describing how this can be done and which in principle can be done in the lab of a school. However, it is in German and the method requires a lot of work.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jpln.19560740105/pdf

Talk about luck haha! My mum's been teaching german for 15 years, however, A complexing agent I did come across was zincon, which was holy costly! Yes, so sorry for the late up date. But I'm going with AAS since I can't find a complexing agent other than zincon for zinc.

1. How is zinc typically measured in a plant?

Zinc is typically measured using a technique called atomic absorption spectroscopy, which involves burning the plant sample and then analyzing the resulting ash for zinc content.

2. What is the importance of determining zinc levels in a plant?

Zinc is an essential micronutrient for plants, playing key roles in enzyme activity and the production of certain hormones. Determining zinc levels can help identify potential deficiencies or toxicities, which can impact plant growth and overall health.

3. Can zinc levels vary in different parts of a plant?

Yes, zinc levels can vary in different parts of a plant. For example, zinc is typically more concentrated in the roots and leaves compared to the stem and seeds. This is due to the different functions that zinc serves in different plant tissues.

4. How can environmental factors affect zinc levels in a plant?

Environmental factors such as soil pH, moisture levels, and the presence of other minerals can impact the availability and uptake of zinc by plants. For example, high soil pH can decrease zinc availability, leading to potential deficiencies in plants.

5. Are there any alternative methods for determining zinc in a plant?

Yes, there are alternative methods for determining zinc in a plant, such as using a colorimetric assay or X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy. However, atomic absorption spectroscopy is considered the most accurate and reliable method for measuring zinc levels in a plant.