How to differentiare/integrate e^t and the like .

• Thread starter LinearAlgebra
  • Start date
In summary, to differentiate and integrate e^t and similar functions within the context of vector functions, you can use the chain rule or integration by parts. However, there is no elementary function that can be used to integrate e^{t^2} dt, but a special function called the error function has been defined for e^{-t^2} dt.
LinearAlgebra
How to differentiare/integrate e^t and the like...

I'm taking linear algebra this semester and completely have forgotten how to integrate and differentiate e functions.

This is within the context of trying to learn how to integrate vector functions...

So how would you integrate t*e^t ? what do you do when there is a multiplicative factor?

How about if it were e^t2? or alternatively e^-2t??

Thanks for the help!:redface:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Use the chain rule to integrate [itex]f(t)e^t[/itex]. You can choose either [itex] u = f(t), dv = e^t dt[/itex] or [itex] u = e^t, dv = f(t) dt[/itex]. With the former approach, [itex]\int f(t)e^t = f(t)e^t - \int f^\prime(t) e^t dt[/itex], and the latter, [itex]\int f(t)e^t = F(t)e^t - \int F(t) e^t dt[/itex]. Use whichever approach simplifies the result.

There is no elementary function [itex]f(t)[/itex] such that [itex]f(t) = \int e^{t^2} dt[/itex]. You can always define a special function that satisfies this equation. The reason no one has done so is because this integral does not come up very often.

On the other hand, [itex]\int e^{-t^2} dt[/itex] comes up all the time. A special function has been defined based on this integral, the error function [itex]\text{erf}(x)[/itex].

DH, thanks a lot for your reply.

Can you please explain further why you use the chain rule?

Also, just to use an example - let's say you have to integrate t^2*e^t? How would you do that?

You use integration by parts, which is the chain rule rewritten for integrals.

Choose [itex] u = t^2, dv = e^t dt[/itex]. Then

[tex]\int t^2 e^t dt = t^2 e^t - 2\int t e^t dt[/tex]

Use integration by parts again on the integral on the right hand side

[tex]\int t e^t dt = t e^t - \int e^t dt = (t-1)e^t[/tex]

Now apply this result to the first result,

[tex]\int t^2 e^t dt = t^2 e^t - 2(t-1)e^t = (t^2-2t+2)e^t[/tex]

Verify by differentiating:

[tex]\frac d {dt}\left((t^2-2t+2)e^t\right) = (2t-2)e^t + (t^2-2t+2)e^t = t^2e^t[/tex]

My bad! Integration by parts is the product rule rewritten for integrals.

1. How do I differentiate e^t?

Differentiating e^t is simple. The derivative of e^t is just e^t itself. In other words, the derivative of e^t is just e^t.

2. How do I integrate e^t?

To integrate e^t, you can use the formula ∫e^t dt = e^t + C, where C is a constant of integration. This means that the integral of e^t is just e^t plus a constant.

3. What is the derivative of e^x?

The derivative of e^x is also just e^x. In fact, e^x and e^t are essentially the same thing, it's just a matter of using different variables.

4. How do I differentiate and integrate e^x with a coefficient?

If you have e^x with a coefficient, such as 2e^x, you can simply treat the coefficient as a constant and use the same rules for differentiating and integrating e^x. So the derivative of 2e^x would be 2e^x, and the integral of 2e^x would be 2e^x + C.

5. Can I differentiate and integrate e^x with other functions?

Yes, you can differentiate and integrate e^x with other functions using the chain rule. For example, if you have e^(x^2), you would first take the derivative of x^2, which is 2x, and then multiply it by the derivative of e^x, which is e^x. So the derivative of e^(x^2) would be 2xe^(x^2). Similarly, for integration, you would use the substitution method.