Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to divide pressure applied at a point on a rod?

1. May 18, 2015 #1
    Hello Every one
    I want to know how the pressure applied at a particular point on a rod will be equally divided underneath of the rod. What materials are good to achieve this kind of situation?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

This is a very vague question. You need to specify more. What is the shape of the rod? How is it aligned with whatever it is sitting on (is it on its side? on its end? what?).

WHAT situation?

4. May 18, 2015 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean like a beam bending from a force pushing down on top? Could you please provide much more detail -- your question is too short and vague for us to be able to help...

http://www.grantadesign.com/images/solutions.figa2.gif
    solutions.figa2.gif

5. May 18, 2015 #4
    Hello
    Here i am using an aluminum sheet. This is done for piezo electricity, It is placed underneath the road and when the vechiles passed by the road the pressure acts at a particular point on the sheet and we have to divide that pressure equally to the entire road

6. May 18, 2015 #5
    Hello
    Here i am using an aluminum sheet. This is done for piezo electricity, It is placed underneath the road and when the vechiles passed by the road the pressure acts at a particular point on the sheet and we have to divide that pressure equally to the entire road

7. May 18, 2015 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have not provided NEARLY enough information to give any meaningful answer. What is the road made of? How far "under" the road is the sheet? how thick is the sheet? The list just goes on and on. Clearly you are not an engineer or you would have realized that such things need to be specified and since you are not an engineer, I don't understand why you are involved in designing this or how you can possibly expect to do it.

8. May 21, 2015 #7
    hello

The sheet is made of aluminium and placed 4 feet underneath the road, it is placed underneath highway roads

Do u still need more information ??

9. May 21, 2015 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Uh ... do you think maybe it matters if the road is concrete or macadam? How about how thick the sheet is? How BIG is the sheet? Do you expect two tires at a time to press on the sheet or just one?

I could go on but I don't think you are getting the point. Besides, at four feet under the road I don't even see how your pressure plate will feel much of anything. I say again, I think you need to get an experience engineer involved in this and I DON'T mean by asking questions on an internet forum as you are doing now.

Look, I'm not trying to give you a hard time on this, I just think you are in WAY over your head.

10. May 25, 2015 #9

hagar

Gold Member

The OP's question is somewhat cryptic and I hope the idea behind this would not be to weaponize something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook