How to divide pressure applied at a point on a rod?

In summary: Anyway, here's a few materials that can be used to apply pressure at a particular point on a rod:-A metal plate-A metal bar-A metal wire-A metal sheet-A metal plate-A metal bar-A metal wire-A metal sheet-A metal wire-A metal sheet-A metal plate-A metal bar-A metal wire-A metal sheet-A metal plate-A metal bar-A metal wire-A metal sheet-A metal plate-A metal bar-A metal wireIn summary, a metal plate or a metal bar can be used to apply pressure at a specific point on a
Ganga Raju
Hello Every one
I want to know how the pressure applied at a particular point on a rod will be equally divided underneath of the rod. What materials are good to achieve this kind of situation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ganga Raju said:
Hello Every one
I want to know how the pressure applied at a particular point on a rod will be equally divided underneath of the rod.
This is a very vague question. You need to specify more. What is the shape of the rod? How is it aligned with whatever it is sitting on (is it on its side? on its end? what?).

What materials are good to achieve this kind of situation?
WHAT situation?

Ganga Raju said:
Hello Every one
I want to know how the pressure applied at a particular point on a rod will be equally divided underneath of the rod. What materials are good to achieve this kind of situation?

Do you mean like a beam bending from a force pushing down on top? Could you please provide much more detail -- your question is too short and vague for us to be able to help...

http://www.grantadesign.com/images/solutions.figa2.gif
solutions.figa2.gif

phinds said:
This is a very vague question. You need to specify more. What is the shape of the rod? How is it aligned with whatever it is sitting on (is it on its side? on its end? what?).

WHAT situation?
Hello
Here i am using an aluminum sheet. This is done for piezo electricity, It is placed underneath the road and when the vechiles passed by the road the pressure acts at a particular point on the sheet and we have to divide that pressure equally to the entire road

berkeman said:
Do you mean like a beam bending from a force pushing down on top? Could you please provide much more detail -- your question is too short and vague for us to be able to help...

http://www.grantadesign.com/images/solutions.figa2.gif
solutions.figa2.gif
Hello
Here i am using an aluminum sheet. This is done for piezo electricity, It is placed underneath the road and when the vechiles passed by the road the pressure acts at a particular point on the sheet and we have to divide that pressure equally to the entire road

Ganga Raju said:
Hello
You have not provided NEARLY enough information to give any meaningful answer. What is the road made of? How far "under" the road is the sheet? how thick is the sheet? The list just goes on and on. Clearly you are not an engineer or you would have realized that such things need to be specified and since you are not an engineer, I don't understand why you are involved in designing this or how you can possibly expect to do it.

Likes billy_joule
hello

The sheet is made of aluminium and placed 4 feet underneath the road, it is placed underneath highway roads

Do u still need more information ??

Ganga Raju said:
hello

The sheet is made of aluminium and placed 4 feet underneath the road, it is placed underneath highway roads

Do u still need more information ??
Uh ... do you think maybe it matters if the road is concrete or macadam? How about how thick the sheet is? How BIG is the sheet? Do you expect two tires at a time to press on the sheet or just one?

I could go on but I don't think you are getting the point. Besides, at four feet under the road I don't even see how your pressure plate will feel much of anything. I say again, I think you need to get an experience engineer involved in this and I DON'T mean by asking questions on an internet forum as you are doing now.

Look, I'm not trying to give you a hard time on this, I just think you are in WAY over your head.

phinds said:
Uh ... do you think maybe it matters if the road is concrete or macadam? How about how thick the sheet is? How BIG is the sheet? Do you expect two tires at a time to press on the sheet or just one?

I could go on but I don't think you are getting the point. Besides, at four feet under the road I don't even see how your pressure plate will feel much of anything. I say again, I think you need to get an experience engineer involved in this and I DON'T mean by asking questions on an internet forum as you are doing now.

Look, I'm not trying to give you a hard time on this, I just think you are in WAY over your head.
The OP's question is somewhat cryptic and I hope the idea behind this would not be to weaponize something.

1. How is pressure applied at a point on a rod divided among its surrounding area?

The pressure at a point on a rod can be divided among its surrounding area by using the formula P = F/A, where P is the pressure, F is the force applied, and A is the area over which the force is applied. This formula can be used to calculate the pressure at any point on the rod.

2. What factors affect the division of pressure at a point on a rod?

The division of pressure at a point on a rod can be affected by various factors such as the material and thickness of the rod, the magnitude and direction of the force applied, and the shape and orientation of the surface where the force is applied. These factors can impact the distribution of pressure and should be considered when calculating the pressure at a specific point on a rod.

3. Can the division of pressure at a point on a rod be changed?

Yes, the division of pressure at a point on a rod can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, increasing the surface area over which the force is applied can decrease the pressure at a specific point, while increasing the force applied can increase the pressure. Additionally, changes in the material or shape of the rod can also impact the division of pressure.

4. How does the division of pressure at a point on a rod impact its structural integrity?

The division of pressure at a point on a rod can have a significant impact on its structural integrity. If the pressure at a specific point exceeds the strength of the material, it can result in deformation or failure of the rod. It is important to consider the division of pressure when designing structures or objects to ensure their stability and longevity.

5. What is the difference between pressure and stress at a point on a rod?

Pressure and stress are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Pressure is the force applied over a specific area, while stress is the force applied per unit area of a material. In other words, stress takes into account the cross-sectional area of the rod, while pressure does not. The division of pressure at a point on a rod can impact the stress that the material experiences, which can affect its strength and durability.