How to do the calculations for a Wheatstone Bridge

In summary: For the more general case you can put an impedance in place of the galvanometer. You can then solve this circuit by labeling all of the branch currents (6 of them) and write a set of quite simple equations for the currents from KVL and KCL. It is a 6x6 matrix, but the elements are simple.Sorry I think I don't explain myself clearly. I mean how we can get VB = VD, not how to get Rx . R1 = R2 . R3In summary, if the voltage at point B is less than the voltage at point D, current will flow through the galvanometer. You
songoku
1614848651219.png

I know at balanced condition, the current flowing through galvanometer = 0 and R1 . Rx = R2 . R3

What I want to ask is how to analyze the circuit until we can conclude the current will be zero. I have learned about Kirchhoff's 1st and 2nd law and also about potential divider. I am guessing there is something to do with potential divider. By changing the value of R2, we can get VD = VB so no current flowing through galvanometer but how to do the calculation / analysis? Can we do it by using Kirchhoff's 1st and 2nd law and potential divider or we need something else beyond high school scope?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
All you need is Ohm's law. Take the voltage at point C to be 0, and the voltage at point A to be V, which is the voltage supplied by the battery. Some current I3 flows through R3. So the voltage at point B is VB=V - I3*R3. The current I3 all flows through Rx, since no current flows through the galvanometer. So the current at point B is also VB=I3*Rx. Eliminating I3 from these two equations gives that VB=V*Rx/(R3+Rx). Similarly on the other side, VD=V*R2/(R1+R2). When VB=VD, you can solve for Rx=R2*R3/R1.

phyzguy said:
All you need is Ohm's law. Take the voltage at point C to be 0, and the voltage at point A to be V, which is the voltage supplied by the battery. Some current I3 flows through R3. So the voltage at point B is VB=V - I3*R3. The current I3 all flows through Rx, since no current flows through the galvanometer. So the current at point B is also VB=I3*Rx. Eliminating I3 from these two equations gives that VB=V*Rx/(R3+Rx). Similarly on the other side, VD=V*R2/(R1+R2). When VB=VD, you can solve for Rx=R2*R3/R1.
Sorry I think I don't explain myself clearly. I mean how we can get VB = VD, not how to get Rx . R1 = R2 . R3

Thanks

For the out of balance case, there are a couple of choices. In one you assume that you have a very high impedance voltmeter (much larger than the other resistors), then you just calculated the voltages with two independent voltage dividers, as above.

For the more general case you can put an impedance in place of the galvanometer. You can then solve this circuit by labeling all of the branch currents (6 of them) and write a set of quite simple equations for the currents from KVL and KCL. It is a 6x6 matrix, but the elements are simple.

songoku said:
Sorry I think I don't explain myself clearly. I mean how we can get VB = VD, not how to get Rx . R1 = R2 . R3

Thanks
That's how the bridge works. You adjust the variable resistor R2 until the galvanometer reads 0. Maybe I don't understand your question.

songoku said:

Thanks
If ##V_B\neq V_D## then there is a potential difference between ##B## and ##D## and current flows one way or another through the galvanometer. We balance the bridge so that no current flows, so we know ##V_B=V_D##.

I suspect OP wants to start from the general case, that is replace the galvanometer with a resistor, find the current in that resistor using Kirchhoff rules and then see under what conditions that current is zero.

Likes nasu, sophiecentaur and vanhees71
songoku said:
I mean how we can get VB = VD,
You may be looking at this in the 'wrong order'. The point about the condition VB = VD is that you have to adjust the resistors to achieve it. The values of the Rs will then fit the equation Rx . R1 = R2 . R3

You could say that VB=VD is an imposed condition.

phyzguy said:
That's how the bridge works. You adjust the variable resistor R2 until the galvanometer reads 0. Maybe I don't understand your question.
Ibix said:
If ##V_B\neq V_D## then there is a potential difference between ##B## and ##D## and current flows one way or another through the galvanometer. We balance the bridge so that no current flows, so we know ##V_B=V_D##.
I am sorry. My question is just like what kuruman said (although the idea of changing galvanometer with a resistor did not cross my mind)
kuruman said:
I suspect OP wants to start from the general case, that is replace the galvanometer with a resistor, find the current in that resistor using Kirchhoff rules and then see under what conditions that current is zero.

DaveE said:
For the out of balance case, there are a couple of choices. In one you assume that you have a very high impedance voltmeter (much larger than the other resistors), then you just calculated the voltages with two independent voltage dividers, as above.

For the more general case you can put an impedance in place of the galvanometer. You can then solve this circuit by labeling all of the branch currents (6 of them) and write a set of quite simple equations for the currents from KVL and KCL. It is a 6x6 matrix, but the elements are simple.

Let say I change galvanometer to R5 and Rx to R4. I am thinking of stating I5 (current passing through R5) in terms of R1 to R5 then find what the condition is for I5 = 0

Can that be done by using KCL and KVL? I think I can write down three equations of KVL by using three different loops and maybe three equations using KCL (something like I1 = I2 + I5 , I4 = I3 + I5). By using algebra, can I state I5 in terms of R1 to R5 using this method? I have to deal with a lot of variables and it seems impossible to do that.

sophiecentaur said:
You may be looking at this in the 'wrong order'. The point about the condition VB = VD is that you have to adjust the resistors to achieve it. The values of the Rs will then fit the equation Rx . R1 = R2 . R3

You could say that VB=VD is an imposed condition.
I understand now it is an imposed condition. For balanced wheatstone bridge, it means current through galvanometer = 0 so it implies that VB = VD. Now I am looking for something more general about wheatstone bridge.

I apologize to everyone for not stating my question clearly.

Thanks

songoku said:
I have to deal with a lot of variables and it seems impossible to do that.
Not impossible. Maybe a little tedious. If you've solved systems of linear equations it will be familiar. Linear algebra is your friend here, but it's not necessary. You'll get one equation for every loop and one equation for every node; 7 equations, but only 6 unknown currents.

songoku said:
I understand now it is an imposed condition. For balanced wheatstone bridge, it means current through galvanometer = 0 so it implies that VB = VD.
@songoku , I think there is still a point that you are missing. An ideal voltmeter (galvanometer) has infinite resistance, so the current through the galvanometer is always zero, even if VB ≠ VD.

songoku said:
I have to deal with a lot of variables and it seems impossible to do that.
songoku said:
Now I am looking for something more general about wheatstone bridge.
If you can understand how do do the calculation for two or three resistors then there is no shame in reaching for a circuit analysis application do do it for more (hundreds, even). It's just a tool. :smile:

Likes vanhees71
DaveE said:
Not impossible. Maybe a little tedious. If you've solved systems of linear equations it will be familiar. Linear algebra is your friend here, but it's not necessary. You'll get one equation for every loop and one equation for every node; 7 equations, but only 6 unknown currents.
Ok I will try it again. I have not gotten 7 equations, only 5 equations so I am missing something

phyzguy said:
@songoku , I think there is still a point that you are missing. An ideal voltmeter (galvanometer) has infinite resistance, so the current through the galvanometer is always zero, even if VB ≠ VD.
I thought galvanometer is ammeter, for measuring current so ideal galvanometer will have zero resistance. So galvanometer is actually voltmeter?

sophiecentaur said:
If you can understand how do do the calculation for two or three resistors then there is no shame in reaching for a circuit analysis application do do it for more (hundreds, even). It's just a tool. :smile:
At first I wonder whether I need knowledge beyond what I know right now to do what I ask in this thread but it seems I just need to use KCL and KVL and the problem is my algebra skill is lacking.

Thanks

songoku said:
I thought galvanometer is ammeter, for measuring current so ideal galvanometer will have zero resistance. So galvanometer is actually voltmeter?
You are correct that a galvanometer is an ammeter and ideally has zero resistance. Ignore my comment. I though a Wheatstone bridge typically had a voltmeter in the middle.

songoku said:
Ok I will try it again. I have not gotten 7 equations, only 5 equations so I am missing something
You are not missing anything. Starting with the diagram shown below, write 3 Kirchhoff voltage and two node current equations which will give you a system of 5 equations and 5 unknowns, the currents. I don't count the total current as unknown since ##I=I_1+I_2=I_3+I_4.##

The two current equations that I used are ##I_1+I_2=I_3+I_4## and ##I_1=I_3+I_{\text{AB}}##.

Wheatstone5.png

For the 3 voltage loops equations, be sure none of them is the sum of the other two. Good luck with solving the system.
Disclaimer
The system is one of those things that one has to do at least once in one's life. I have already done it many years ago, so I used Mathematica to get the solution. However, the answer for ##I_{\text{AB}}## makes eminent sense in retrospect.

Likes DaveE
kuruman said:
For the 3 voltage loops equations, be sure none of them is the sum of the other two.
This is where my mistake is. I will try doing it again

Thank you very much for all the help and explanation phyzguy, DaveE, Ibix, kuruman, sophiecentaur

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is a Wheatstone Bridge and what is it used for?

A Wheatstone Bridge is a type of electrical circuit that is used to measure an unknown resistance by comparing it to a known resistance. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and engineering applications to accurately measure resistance values.

2. How do I calculate the unknown resistance using a Wheatstone Bridge?

The calculation for the unknown resistance in a Wheatstone Bridge is based on the ratio of the known resistance and the voltage readings across the bridge. The formula is Rx = (R1/R2) * V2, where Rx is the unknown resistance, R1 is the known resistance, R2 is the other resistance in the bridge, and V2 is the voltage reading across R2.

3. How many resistors are needed for a Wheatstone Bridge?

A Wheatstone Bridge requires four resistors, with two of them being known resistors and the other two being the unknown resistor and a variable resistor. The variable resistor is used to balance the bridge and obtain accurate readings.

4. What is the principle behind the Wheatstone Bridge?

The Wheatstone Bridge works on the principle of null measurement, where the bridge is balanced when the voltage across the unknown resistor is zero. This means that the ratio of the known resistances is equal to the ratio of the unknown resistance and the variable resistance.

5. Can a Wheatstone Bridge be used for other measurements besides resistance?

Yes, a Wheatstone Bridge can also be used to measure other quantities such as capacitance and inductance. This is achieved by replacing one of the resistors with a capacitor or an inductor and using the same principles of null measurement to obtain accurate readings.