How to draw tetrahedral ice structure?

• Thread starter calebuiuc
  • Start date
Is there any software that can easily draw a tetrahedral ice?

I was trying to draw a H2O molecule surrounded by other 4 H2O's (forming a tetrahedral ice) by ChemDraw, which seemingly was not very friendly to me.

alxm

Science Advisor
Well ChemDraw is good for and typically used for 'flat' structures. If you want to show a 3D structure, like say, a unit cell, you'll need the 3D coordinates, either by creating yourself, or getting a file somewhere like the ICSD (internet crystal structure database).

The typical files for this are CIF (Crystal Information file) and there's also XYZ (essentially raw coordinates) and other formats. There's a CIF program, as well as JMol and a bunch of other visualization software for creating images of such 3D structures.

Well ChemDraw is good for and typically used for 'flat' structures. If you want to show a 3D structure, like say, a unit cell, you'll need the 3D coordinates, either by creating yourself, or getting a file somewhere like the ICSD (internet crystal structure database).

The typical files for this are CIF (Crystal Information file) and there's also XYZ (essentially raw coordinates) and other formats. There's a CIF program, as well as JMol and a bunch of other visualization software for creating images of such 3D structures.
Got it. ICSD stands for 'Inorganic' Crystal Structure Database.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it!