Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to drive generator?

1. Feb 25, 2014 #1
    motor specs are..
    dc motor single phase 24 volts 49.6 amp 3000rpm, 1hp

dynmo specs are:
    dynamo 1500 rpm 31.5amp output current 8hp

shaft of motor 1.3cm diameter and dynamo 3.5cm approx

plz tell me the ideas to drive the generator? give explained answers

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2014 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Pulleys and a belt.

You are aware though that the output won't exceed the input, right?

4. Feb 25, 2014 #3
    yeah...
    do i have to use flywheels?

5. Feb 25, 2014 #4
    generator have greater horse power than motor
    is that a problem? do i have to match the horse power? or pulleys do this ?

6. Feb 26, 2014 #5

russ_watters

Not unless the load on the generator is highly variable.

7. Feb 26, 2014 #6

russ_watters

You don't have to match them, but it would be a waste not to, because of what I said in my first post.

Why are you doing this? What purpose will it serve?

8. Feb 27, 2014 #7
    can u give me some calculations of pulley system according to my need...i don't know how to calculate..
    also give me some best site or pdf for flywheel calculation..

i want to generate electricity using generator which again charge batteries attached to motor.
    i know the speed gradually start to decrease and system gonna stop.but i have to design this system.

9. Mar 6, 2014 #8
    can anyone tell me how to make a current measuring circuit shich can measure upto 200A

10. Mar 6, 2014 #9
    which*

11. Mar 6, 2014 #10

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't do this. Your generator cannot put enough power out to charge the battery as well as power the motor which is what you would be doing. If you were to eliminate the battery you still would not have enough to run the motor. It would slow down just as quickly if not quicker than if you mechanically coupled the motor and generator together and spun them up manually with no electrical connections. If you used your scheme to charge the batteries the only thing the motor-generator setup does is increase the loss. It is a net drain. The real energy would be coming from whatever spins this combo up in the first place. And if this is the battery then you are just needlessly expediting the drain on the battery. If you want to charge batteries you need to just use the generator powered by something else.

12. Mar 7, 2014 #11
    yeah i understand ...
    can anyone tell me how to measure and control high currents

13. Mar 7, 2014 #12

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to be more specific here. Measure and control high currents. Do you mean find a switch that is able to handle 200 amps? When you say measure, how accurate do you need to be?

14. Mar 7, 2014 #13
    i want a circuit or device that create a check on current value ..if it decrease a certain limit,,i willon some switches or do some other task.. but the current is high..

15. Mar 7, 2014 #14
    will on *

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook