How to Evaluate a Cauchy Integral on Different Paths?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral of dz/((z-i)(z+1)) (C:|z-i|=1). One method is by using the Cauchy integral formula, which requires f to be analytic on and inside C, and z to be any point inside C. The difference between using the circle (C:|z-i|=1) and (C:|z|=2) lies in the number of poles inside them. The conversation also mentions local expansions and Cauchy's theorem as tools for evaluating integrals.
redshift
Cauchy integral question

The question calls for finding the integral of dz/((z-i)(z+1)) (C:|z-i|=1)

I can't figure out how to do this for (C:|z-i|=1). How does this differ from, say, (C: |z|=2)

Regards

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One way to evaluate this integral is by using the Cauchy integral formula:

[tex]f(z)=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_C \frac{f(\zeta)}{\zeta-z}d\zeta[/tex].
Which holds f is analytic on and inside C and z is any point inside C.

Notice [tex]\frac{1}{z+1}[/tex] is analytic inside (C:|z-i|=1).
This would not be the case for (C: |z|=2).

the difference between the two circles is in the number of poels inside them, as galileo observed. i.e. the simpelst way to do this integral is by evaluating residues att he poles inside the path. the first path contains one pole, the one at i, and the second path contains two, poles, at i and -i.

the tool is based on local expansions. and cauchy's theorem.

i.e. 1/z is basically dln(|z|) + 2pi idtheta, so when you integrate it around a lop inclosing 0, you get 2pi i.

the same holds if you shift to other points. so 1/(z-i) gives 2pi i when integrated around i, and 1/(z+i) gives 2pi i when intregrated around -i.

each is holomorphic near the other's pole so 1/(z-i) e.g. gives zero when integrated around a small circle centered at -i.

Related to How to Evaluate a Cauchy Integral on Different Paths?

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their properties. It is also known as the theory of functions of a complex variable.

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1). They can be graphically represented on a complex plane, with the real numbers on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers on the vertical axis.

What is the difference between real analysis and complex analysis?

Real analysis deals with the study of real numbers and their properties, while complex analysis focuses on complex numbers. In complex analysis, functions are defined and studied in the complex plane, using techniques such as differentiation and integration.

What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to solve problems in fluid dynamics, electrical circuits, and signal processing, among others.

What are some important theorems in complex analysis?

Some important theorems in complex analysis include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the Cauchy integral theorem, and the Cauchy integral formula. These theorems are used to understand and analyze complex functions and their properties.