How to explain alternating emf?

In summary: So, in summary, alternating current is explained by the change in magnetic flux linkage and the application of Faraday's and Lenz's laws. In the case of a magnet being pushed through a solenoid, the solenoid experiences an increase in magnetic flux linkage, causing an induced EMF according to Faraday's Law. This is then opposed by an induced current flowing in the opposite direction due to Lenz's Law. This results in an alternating current as the magnet continues to move through the solenoid. Similarly, in the case of a turbine with magnets and solenoids, the rotation of the magnets causes changes in magnetic flux linkage and induces alternating EMF according to Faraday's Law.
sgstudent

Homework Statement

Explaining alternating current is simple as the direction of current will change accordingly. For example: a magnet is pushed through a solenoid. Explain why is there an induced alternating current.

As it is pushed forward, the solenoid experiences an increase in magnetic flux linkage. Thus by faradays law there is an induced emf across the solenoid. In order to oppose the increase in magnetic field, by Lenz law there is an induced current flowing towards the right. In the middle of the solenoid, there is no change in magnetic flux linkage so there is no induced emf and hence current. When the magnet leaves the solenod, the solenoid experiences a decrease in magnetic field. Hence, in order to oppose the decrease in magnetic field by Lenz law there is an induced current flowing to the left. Thus there is an alternating current when the magnet is pushed through.

However, in a question they showed a turbine with magnets on them which turn around. On the side is a solenoid. And they asked us why would there be an alternating emf.

Homework Equations

nil

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to explain this. Do I start with Lenz law? Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the directions of the magnetic dipole moment, the axis of rotation of the magnet, and the a (cylindrical?) solenoid?

Hi I'm unable to draw this picture now. But in a case where there is a magnetic pushed into a solenoid, and I am asked why is there an alternating emf? Then how would I phrase this?

Your second paragraph did a pretty good job. I'm not sure what the problem is. As for the turbine, what I think is happening is there are multiple solenoids. The magnet's dipole moment is perpendicular to the axis of rotation, and the outer solenoids are oriented so that their axes are radial from the axis of the magnet's rotation.

frogjg2003 said:
Your second paragraph did a pretty good job. I'm not sure what the problem is. As for the turbine, what I think is happening is there are multiple solenoids. The magnet's dipole moment is perpendicular to the axis of rotation, and the outer solenoids are oriented so that their axes are radial from the axis of the magnet's rotation.

Hi but didn't I explain alternating current and not emf?

I see now. Yes, you did explain AC, not EMF. Were you taught Faraday's Law of Induction? It's the equivalent to EMF that Lenz' Law is to current. Are you trying to prove Faraday's Law?

frogjg2003 said:
I see now. Yes, you did explain AC, not EMF. Were you taught Faraday's Law of Induction? It's the equivalent to EMF that Lenz' Law is to current. Are you trying to prove Faraday's Law?

I learned that when there is a change in magnetic flux linkage then there is an emf but I'm not sure how to explain an alternating emf since the emf doesn't flow like in current so there isn't a direction to it. Thanks for the help!

EMF does have a direction. If you're going around the curve one way, it might have a positive EMF, but if you're going around the curve in the opposite way, it will have a negative EMF.

1. What is alternating emf?

Alternating emf, or electromotive force, is a type of electrical current that changes direction periodically, as opposed to direct current which flows in one direction. It is commonly used in household electricity and is produced by an alternating current (AC) generator.

2. How is alternating emf generated?

Alternating emf is generated by rotating a coil of wire within a magnetic field. This produces a changing magnetic flux, which in turn induces an alternating current in the coil. The frequency of the alternating current is dependent on the speed of rotation of the coil.

3. What is the difference between alternating and direct emf?

The main difference between alternating and direct emf is the direction of current flow. In alternating emf, the current changes direction periodically, while in direct emf, the current flows in one direction. Additionally, alternating emf is more efficient for long-distance transmission of electricity, while direct emf is better for small, local circuits.

4. What is the relationship between alternating emf and frequency?

The frequency of alternating emf is directly proportional to the frequency of rotation of the coil within the magnetic field. This means that as the speed of rotation increases, the frequency of the alternating current also increases. The relationship is described by the equation f = N * ω, where N is the number of rotations per second and ω is the angular velocity.

5. How is alternating emf measured?

Alternating emf can be measured using a device called an oscilloscope. This device displays the voltage over time, allowing for the measurement of the amplitude, frequency, and other characteristics of the alternating emf. It can also be measured using a multimeter, which is a handheld device that measures voltage, current, and resistance.