How to express space-dependent acceleration?

• Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary: If you fill space with matter of density ##\rho(\vec x,t)## then you could write down an acceleration field ##a(\vec x,t)##, but you appeared to be talking about a...mass?mass?No, I'm not sure what you mean.
kent davidge
Since the acceleration ##\vec a## is given by ##\vec a = \frac{d^2 \vec x}{dt^2}##, it is a function of ##t## only. Of course, the derivative implies that ##t = t(\vec x)## so we can also in principle express ##\vec a## in terms of ##\vec x##. But how can we express an acceleration dependent on both time and space? I mean an acceleration of the type ##\vec a = \vec a(t,\vec x)##?

Physics news on Phys.org
As you say, ##a## is a function of ##t## only: ##\vec a(t,\vec x(t)) = \vec a(t)##. Your question seems to suppose a specific trajectory or something, so that ##t=t(\vec x)## where now ##\vec x## is the independent variable ? Meaning that for every position there is a time assigned ?

How would that work with e.g. a circular trajectory ?

Likes kent davidge
Yes, I got that. If position is time dependent, which is implied by stating that ##\vec a = \frac{d^2 \vec x}{dt^2}##, then there is really only one independent variable, namely ##t##. However it seems intuitive that in nature we should encounter situations where the acceleration depends both on space and time, so that ##\{\vec x, t \}## are independent of one another. In those cases, then what should we do?

##x## and ##t## independent of each other ? That's not a case of ##t(\vec x)##, then !

If we want to calculate a trajectory, e.g. for a mass ##m## in a gravity field from a mass ##M >> m##, we have a dependency ## \vec a = \vec a (\vec x)## and we also have ##\vec a = {d^2\vec x\over dt^2}##. After solving for ##\vec x(t)## we still don't have a ##\vec a (\vec x, t)## outside the trajectory.

BvU said:
##x## and ##t## independent of each other ? That's not a case of ##t(\vec x)##, then !
:oldbiggrin:
right
BvU said:
If we want to calculate a trajectory, e.g. for a mass ##m## in a gravity field from a mass ##M >> m##, we have a dependency ## \vec a = \vec a (\vec x)## and we also have ##\vec a = {d^2\vec x\over dt^2}##. After solving for ##\vec x(t)## we still don't have a ##\vec a (\vec x, t)## outside the trajectory.
then should Newton's second law be written generally as ##F(\vec x, t) = m \vec a (\vec x, t)##? and only for a specified, time-parametrized trajectory ##\vec x(t)##, can it be written as ##F = m \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}##?

No. ##\vec F = m\vec a## is general: it is valid independent of ##\vec x##.

BvU said:
No. ##\vec F = m\vec a## is general: it is valid independent of ##\vec x##.
so how can we express this for a arbritary trajectory?

kent davidge said:
arbritary trajectory
by twice differentiating the position wrt time :smile:

But I suppose that isn't what you mean ?

BvU said:
by twice differentiating the position wrt time :smile:

But I suppose that isn't what you mean ?
hmm, I think that answers my question, yes. So what can I conclude? That we can't have an acceleration of the form ##\vec a(\vec x, t)## because ##\vec x## is always ##\vec x(t)##?

kent davidge said:
hmm, I think that answers my question, yes. So what can I conclude? That we can't have an acceleration of the form ##\vec a(\vec x, t)## because ##\vec x## is always ##\vec x(t)##?
A trajectory is, by definition, a smooth path through space. Thus it can be written ##\vec x(\lambda)##, where ##\lambda## is some smooth parameter along the line. Since you can only be at one place at one time and can't revisit earlier time, ##t## is a possible parameter. Thus you can write ##\vec x(t)##.

Ibix said:
A trajectory is, by definition, a smooth path through space. Thus it can be written ##\vec x(\lambda)##, where ##\lambda## is some smooth parameter along the line. Since you can only be at one place at one time and can't revisit earlier time, ##t## is a possible parameter. Thus you can write ##\vec x(t)##.
So the conclusion is that ##\vec a## (and thus, also ##\vec F##) cannot be dependent on both position and time?

kent davidge said:
So the conclusion is that →a\vec a (and thus, also →F\vec F) cannot be dependent on both position and time?

No, the conclusion is a particle can't be in two places at once.

Likes Ibix
kent davidge said:
So the conclusion is that ##\vec a## (and thus, also ##\vec F##) cannot be dependent on both position and time?
You can certainly write down a time and space varying force field - Newtonian gravity around a binary star for example. But a particle can only be in one place at a time, so its acceleration at time ##t## must be expressible as a function of that single parameter.

If you fill space with matter of density ##\rho(\vec x,t)## then you could write down an acceleration field ##a(\vec x,t)##, but you appeared to be talking about a particle.

Likes kent davidge and FactChecker
You need to be careful. If your goal is to specify the accelerations at different points for different elements, then you can write ##a(t,x)##. But if you are trying to define the acceleration of a given element as time progresses, then you must remember that ##x(t)## is already defined by the double integral of acceleration and the initial position. In that case, you are not free to specify a conflicting ##x(t)##.

Likes kent davidge, BvU and Ibix

1. How is space-dependent acceleration defined?

Space-dependent acceleration refers to the change in acceleration of a body as it moves through space, where the acceleration varies based on the location in space. It is typically represented by a vector quantity, with both magnitude and direction.

2. What is an example of space-dependent acceleration?

An example of space-dependent acceleration is the gravitational acceleration experienced by objects on Earth's surface. This acceleration varies based on the distance from the center of the Earth, with a higher acceleration closer to the surface and a lower acceleration further away.

3. How is space-dependent acceleration different from constant acceleration?

Space-dependent acceleration is different from constant acceleration in that it changes based on the location in space, while constant acceleration remains the same throughout the motion of an object. In other words, the magnitude and direction of space-dependent acceleration are not constant, while they are for constant acceleration.

4. How is space-dependent acceleration calculated?

To calculate space-dependent acceleration, you need to know the position and velocity of the object at different points in space. Then, you can use the formula a = (v2 - v1)/(t2 - t1) to find the average acceleration between two points. This can then be used to determine the space-dependent acceleration at a specific point.

5. What are some real-world applications of space-dependent acceleration?

Space-dependent acceleration has many real-world applications, including in the study of planetary motion, satellite orbits, and rocket propulsion. It is also important in understanding the effects of gravity on objects in space and in developing accurate navigation systems for space travel.