How to factor 3rd degree polynomial with 3 terms

In summary, the conversation is about how to factor a third degree polynomial and the difficulty in finding the correct technique. The suggested solution is to use the rational root theorem and check possible rational roots. Once one root is found, the remaining factor can be found using the quadratic formula. The conversation also mentions the use of synthetic division and the frustration with the lack of instruction on factoring cubic polynomials in class.
leroyjenkens
-x^3+12x+16

Every single technique I read about online of how to factor 3rd degree polynomials, it says to group them. I don't think grouping works with this. I tried but it didn't work, since there's only 3 terms. Apparently I'm not supposed to have a cubic variable without a squared variable? I don't know. But how is this done?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
By <eyesight> , +4 is a root of the polynomial.

The rational root theorem is a good place to start. For your problem, the only possible candidates for rational roots are ±1, ±2, ±4, ±8, or ±16. You can check each one very quickly by using synthetic division, or a bit more laboriously by using ordinary polynomial division.

Once you find one root of a cubic, the other factor is a quadratic, so you can use the quadratic formula to find the other roots.

Thanks for the responses. This was part of my linear algebra homework, and the teacher's answers just shows it factored, as if it's a simple factoring procedure that everyone should know how to do. The only examples gone over in class were the typical quadratic factoring. Math teachers are usually pretty dirty, so it's not surprising she would throw in a cubic and expect us to remember how to do synthetic division or whatever.

Thanks.

1. What is a 3rd degree polynomial with 3 terms?

A 3rd degree polynomial with 3 terms is an algebraic expression that contains three terms with the highest exponent being 3. It can be written in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable.

2. Why is it important to factor a 3rd degree polynomial with 3 terms?

Factoring a 3rd degree polynomial with 3 terms is important because it helps us to simplify and solve the expression. It also allows us to find the roots or solutions of the polynomial, which can be useful in real-world applications.

3. What is the process for factoring a 3rd degree polynomial with 3 terms?

The process for factoring a 3rd degree polynomial with 3 terms involves finding the greatest common factor (GCF) of the terms, using the grouping method or the factor theorem to factor out the GCF, and then using the quadratic formula or other methods to factor the remaining quadratic expression.

4. Can all 3rd degree polynomials with 3 terms be factored?

No, not all 3rd degree polynomials with 3 terms can be factored. Some polynomials may have complex or imaginary roots, which cannot be factored using real numbers. In such cases, the polynomial is said to be irreducible over the set of real numbers.

5. How can factoring a 3rd degree polynomial with 3 terms help in solving equations?

Factoring a 3rd degree polynomial with 3 terms can help in solving equations by reducing the degree of the polynomial and making it easier to solve. It also allows us to determine the values of the variable that make the polynomial equal to zero, which are the solutions to the equation.