Finding the Limit: An Introduction to Calculus

• Thread starter Gregory.gags
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: So the limit is x6(4 - 6x-1 + 3x-2)/x5(7 - 6x-1 + 2x-2) which is equivalent to x6(4 - 6x-1 + 3x-2)/x5(7 - 6x-1 + 2x-2) = x(4 - 6x-1 + 3x-2)/x(7 - 6x-1 + 2x-2). Since the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator, the limit diverges. This means that as x approaches infinity, the expression will continue to grow without bound. Therefore, the limit
Gregory.gags
this may seem like a stupid questions but I'm trying to teach myself basic calculus so I have to start from the very beginning. the question I have is as follows; lim= x -> infinity for 4x^6-6x^5+3x^4 / 7x^5-6x^4+2x^3. (^ mean 'power of') So I read that "because the numerator's degree '6' > the denominators degree '5', the limit diverges". What does that mean, and how does it help me find the limit?
thanks in advance for any help you can give :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gregory.gags! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Gregory.gags said:
this may seem like a stupid questions but I'm trying to teach myself basic calculus so I have to start from the very beginning. the question I have is as follows; lim= x -> infinity for 4x^6-6x^5+3x^4 / 7x^5-6x^4+2x^3. (^ mean 'power of') So I read that "because the numerator's degree '6' > the denominators degree '5', the limit diverges". What does that mean, and how does it help me find the limit?
thanks in advance for any help you can give :)

Rewrite it as x6(4 - 6x-1 + 3x-2)/x5(7 - 6x-1 + 1x-2) :wink:

Related to Finding the Limit: An Introduction to Calculus

What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value. It is often used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular point.

Why is finding the limit important in calculus?

Finding the limit is important in calculus because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It also helps us to define important concepts such as continuity and differentiability.

How do you find the limit of a function?

The limit of a function can be found by evaluating the function at values close to the given point and observing the trend of the outputs. If the outputs approach a specific value as the inputs get closer to the given point, then that value is the limit.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function from one side of the given point, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior from both sides of the point and the limit only exists if the one-sided limits are equal to each other.

What are some real-life applications of finding limits in calculus?

Limits are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems, such as the speed of a falling object or the growth of a population. They are also used in optimization problems, where finding the limit can help determine the maximum or minimum value of a function.