How to find acceleration from force and time?

In summary, the coin falls for 2.48 seconds and has a final velocity of 1.999m. The coin experiences a deceleration of 0.41N due to the water, and is therefore massless.
SpiraRoam

Homework Statement

A coin is dropped into a well and the time taken to hit the bottom is 2.48 seconds. Calculate the mass of the coin if the water slows it to a stop in 0.72 seconds exerting an average force of 0.41N on the coin

Homework Equations

F=ma m=f/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the mass from m=f/a but first finding the acceleration with just the time and force values

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi day, :welcome:

It is clear you'll need another relevant equation: in yours there is no time variable present. Any idea what to do with the 2.48 seconds, for example ?

Hmm I didn't think the 2.48s was relevant to the mass but it very well could be. The other two parts of the question before this ask for the depth of the well and the final velocity of the coin - which I derived from the suvat equation s=ut+1/2at^2 which I rearranged for the acceleration of 0.806m/s^2. I also got the displacement of the fall as 4.959m and the final velocity as 1.999m. These are probably relevant to the final question and the mass but I'm not sure how..

Ahh, I think I've forgotten to include gravity 9.81ms^2 in the original equation as acceleration.

Day3091 said:
Finding the mass

Can you find the deceleration caused by the water ?
and then use ##f = ma##.

Possibly. I'm not sure how to calculate acceleration in water - would the 0.41N of force from the water be a clue? Once I've got that I can find a new velocity with the 0.72s. I may have to just use the final velocity from the fall and carry it over? It is just 0.72s afterall...

Draw an FBD for the coin in water. What are the forces acting and in which directions?

Day3091 said:
Possibly. I'm not sure how to calculate acceleration in water - would the 0.41N of force from the water be a clue? Once I've got that I can find a new velocity with the 0.72s. I may have to just use the final velocity from the fall and carry it over? It is just 0.72s afterall...

try ##v-u=at## to find declaration.

Day3091 said:
Hmm I didn't think the 2.48s was relevant to the mass but it very well could be. The other two parts of the question before this ask for the depth of the well and the final velocity of the coin - which I derived from the suvat equation s=ut+1/2at^2 which I rearranged for the acceleration of 0.806m/s^2. I also got the displacement of the fall as 4.959m and the final velocity as 1.999m. These are probably relevant to the final question and the mass but I'm not sure how..
##{1/2}\;gt^2## (an expression that does include a time!) gives me something else for ##t=2.48## s. And 1.999 m is not a speed. Could you show the complete exercise text and post your working (instead of some answer numbers)?

Related to How to find acceleration from force and time?

1. How do I calculate acceleration from force and time?

To calculate acceleration from force and time, you can use the formula a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force, and m is mass. This formula is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. What units should be used for force and time when calculating acceleration?

The SI (International System of Units) unit for force is Newtons (N) and the unit for time is seconds (s). Therefore, when calculating acceleration, the unit for force should be in Newtons and the unit for time should be in seconds.

3. Can acceleration be negative when using the formula a = F/m?

Yes, acceleration can be negative when using the formula a = F/m. This indicates that the object is decelerating, or slowing down, due to a net force in the opposite direction of its motion. This is in line with Newton's Second Law, which states that acceleration is in the same direction as the net force applied.

4. How can I determine the direction of acceleration when using the formula a = F/m?

The direction of acceleration can be determined by the direction of the net force applied. If the net force is in the same direction as the object's motion, the acceleration will be positive. If the net force is in the opposite direction of the object's motion, the acceleration will be negative.

5. Can I use the formula a = F/m to calculate acceleration for an object with varying mass?

Yes, the formula a = F/m can be used to calculate acceleration for an object with varying mass. In this case, the mass used in the formula should be the average mass of the object throughout the given time interval. Alternatively, the formula a = ∑F/m can be used, where ∑F is the sum of all the forces acting on the object and m is the instantaneous mass at that particular point in time.