How to find magnitude of two forces

In summary, the conversation discussed adding two forces applied to a car to find the resultant force. The values for X and Y components were computed, but the answer was incorrect due to the calculator being in radians mode instead of degrees. After switching to degrees mode and considering the signs of the components, the correct answer was obtained. The concept of components of a vector was also discussed to help clarify the direction of the forces and their components.
janex
Two forces are given and are applied to a car in an effort to accelerate it: 414N at 9 degrees and 340N at 25 degrees. What is magnitude of the resultant of the two forces? Answer in units of N.

So I've added together X= (414cos9) + (340cos25), and got -40.
For the Y, Y= (414sin9) + (340sin25)=125.
I took square root of (-40)^2 + (125)^2, and got 131.24.

However, that is not the correct answer. What am I doing wrong? Help please?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Note the angles are in degrees, not radians.

janex said:
Two forces are given and are applied to a car in an effort to accelerate it: 414N at 9 degrees and 340N at 25 degrees. What is magnitude of the resultant of the two forces? Answer in units of N.

So I've added together X= (414cos9) + (340cos25), and got -40.
You've added two positive quantities together and obtained a negative result. How? o0)

For the Y, Y= (414sin9) + (340sin25)=125.
I took square root of (-40)^2 + (125)^2, and got 131.24.

However, that is not the correct answer. What am I doing wrong? Help please?!

Well you are computing the right values to add together for X and also for Y but the answers you get for those computation are just weird.

Steamking, 414 x cos 9 degrees = - 377.2.

Check your calculator to make sure it is in degree mode.

TSny said:
Note the angles are in degrees, not radians.
So what you are saying Tsny is that I should convert the answers to radians?

Keep the angles in degrees and just switch the angle mode of your calculator to degrees instead of radians. Your calculator is assuming that your angles are in radians.

TSny said:
Keep the angles in degrees and just switch the angle mode of your calculator to degrees instead of radians. Your calculator is assuming that your angles are in radians.
I've switched the mode to degrees, but still am getting the wrong answer. :(

what does your calculator now give you for cosine of 9 degrees?

TSny said:
what does your calculator now give you for cosine of 9 degrees?

OK good. Was a diagram included in the problem? Are the two angles measured from the x axis? Are both angle above the x axis, or is one angle above the axis and the other angle below the axis?

TSny said:
OK good. Was a diagram included in the problem? Are the two angles measured from the x axis? Are both angle above the x axis, or is one angle above the axis and the other angle below the axis?
340 N @ 25 degrees is below x-axis. 414 N @ 9 degrees I above x-axis.

Are the Y components of both forces positive? If not, which force has a negative Y component?

Yes
TSny said:
Are the Y components of both forces positive? If not, which force has a negative Y component?

The 340 N points below the x axis. Draw this force and draw its Y component. Does the Y component point up or down?

I
TSny said:
The 340 N points below the x axis. Draw this force and draw its Y component. Does the Y component point up or down?
It is pointing up

janex said:
I

It is pointing up

Hmm. I think you need to review the concept of components of a vector. Particularly their signs.

For example, take a look at the picture at the bottom of this link: http://www.texttutoring.com/an-arrow-is-shot-off-a-cliff-at-an-angle-with-crosswind/

Does it make sense to you that the Y component of the vector is negative (pointing down)?

Ye
TSny said:
Hmm. I think you need to review the concept of components of a vector. Particularly their signs.

For example, take a look at the picture at the bottom of this link: http://www.texttutoring.com/an-arrow-is-shot-off-a-cliff-at-an-angle-with-crosswind/

Does it make sense to you that the Y component of the vector is negative (pointing down)?

I think once I get a good look at this tomorrow, it'll make better sense. As far as I can see, the vector does move in a negative direction towards F2.

janex said:
YeI think once I get a good look at this tomorrow, it'll make better sense. As far as I can see, the vector does move in a negative direction towards F2.
Thanks for all your help TSny!

OK, good luck with it. I'll just leave you with this.

In the picture below, the red vector has both positive X and Y components. (If you walked from the tail to the head of the vector you would be going in the positive X and positive Y direction.) But the blue vector has a positive X component and a negative Y component. (If you walked from the tail to the head of this vector you would be going in the positive X but in the negative Y direction.)

Attachments

• vectors.png
    vectors.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 411
TSny said:
OK, good luck with it. I'll just leave you with this.

In the picture below, the red vector has both positive X and Y components. (If you walked from the tail to the head of the vector you would be going in the positive X and positive Y direction.) But the blue vector has a positive X component and a negative Y component. (If you walked from the tail to the head of this vector you would be going in the positive X but in the negative Y direction.)

Yes, thank you for this! I had actually gone off of a sketch I had, and it was not accurate. After you had mentioned so, I looked back at the homework and it's sketched the way you have it. Thanks for all your explanations!

1. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of two forces?

The formula for finding the magnitude of two forces is the Pythagorean theorem: c² = a² + b², where c represents the magnitude of the resultant force and a and b represent the individual forces in the x and y direction, respectively.

2. How do I determine the direction of the resultant force?

The direction of the resultant force can be determined using the tangent function: tanθ = b/a, where θ represents the angle between the resultant force and the x-axis and b and a represent the y and x components of the resultant force, respectively.

3. Can I use the same formula for finding the magnitude of more than two forces?

Yes, the same formula can be used to find the magnitude of more than two forces. Simply find the resultant force of two forces, and then use that resultant force as one of the forces to find the resultant force of the remaining forces.

4. How do I find the magnitude of two forces acting at an angle?

To find the magnitude of two forces acting at an angle, first find the components of each force in the x and y direction. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant force.

5. Is it possible for the magnitude of the resultant force to be less than the magnitude of the individual forces?

No, the magnitude of the resultant force will always be equal to or greater than the magnitude of the individual forces. This is because the individual forces are combined to form the resultant force, so the resultant force must be at least as strong as the individual forces.