How to find mass of block from static friction

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the maximum static friction by using a Free Body Diagram (FBD) and Newton's Laws. It is suggested to think about the force and how it relates to the acceleration. If stuck, assistance is offered to solve for the force by using F=ma.
mak66
no longer needed

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay. If you haven't, draw a Free Body Diagram (FBD). It might help you to visualize what is going on.

Good start solving for the max static friction. Think about where the force comes from. What is F in it's most basic form (Think of Newton's Laws)? Once you have that, look at the FBD and see what you know and what you don't know.

If you're still having troubles then, let us know where you get stuck and we'll see what we can do to assist.

So if F=ma, and I know the acceleration could I solve for the mass? But I feel like that would just be circular. Perhaps I would solve for the force by using F=m(g-a)? So the force is 31.572=m(9.8+2.556), so m=2.555kg. Am I thinking in the right direction?

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when there is no relative motion between them.

How do you calculate static friction?

The formula for calculating static friction is μsN, where μs is the coefficient of static friction and N is the normal force acting perpendicular to the surface.

What factors affect the static friction of a block?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the types of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pressing the surfaces together.

Can the mass of a block affect the static friction?

Yes, the mass of the block can indirectly affect the static friction by influencing the normal force acting on the block.

How can you find the mass of a block from static friction?

To find the mass of a block from static friction, you can rearrange the formula for static friction to solve for the mass, which would be m = F/μsN. You would need to know the applied force and the coefficient of static friction between the two surfaces.