How to find mass with gravitational attraction.

In summary, the problem was that the two equations had different variables in the same position. The first equation had m1 and m2, while the second equation had m1*m2. Once you solved for m1 in the first equation, you could replace m1 in the second equation and solve for m2.
ssjdbz101
Hello, I'm trying to solve a problem, but I'm doing something wrong.

This is the problem out of my Physics book, but the problem I'm working on has different numbers, so any help will not be cheating, I just need to know the process.

Problem:
Two objects are attracted to each other gravitationally with a force of 2.5e-10 N when they are 0.25 meters apart. Their total mass is 4.0 kg. Find their individual masses.

Answer:
I know the answer is m1=3.9kg, and m2=0.1kg. But I don't know how they got this answer.

Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate the product of the masses with the given force and distance. Then because you know the sum, you have a system of 2 equations with 2 unknowns

I know that, but I'm still confused.

Since the equation is: Fg = G m1m2/r^2

if I plug in the numbers I'm given:
Fg=2.5e-10
G=6.67e-11
r=0.25

I have: 2.5e-10 = 6.67e-11 m1m2 / 0.25^2.

I solve for m1m2, which is: m1m2 = (Fg*r^2)/G , right?

Doing that, I have m1m2 = (2.5e-10*0.0625)/6.67e-11 = 0.23426

Now what do I do?
I know m1=3.9, and m2=0.1, so shouldn't (m1m2=0.39) ?

The sum of the masses: (m1+m2=4), but how do I use this in the (m1m2=0.39) ?

I'm doing something wrong, but what?

I don't see anything wrong in your calculations but are you sure you copied the numbers right?

If you have two equations: m1 + m2 = 4 and m1*m2 = #

Solve for m1 in one equation like m1 = 4 - m2
And then plug that into the other equation m1*m2 = (4 - m2)*m2 = #
Once you have m2, go back to m1 + m2 = 4 to solve for m1.

The idea is to solve one equation for a variable. Then replace the same variable in the second equation so there's only one unknown.

Thanks, I figured it was that, but for some reason, I could not figure out (4-m2)*m2=#.
Major brain fart.

Thanks a lot!

1. How does gravitational attraction help determine mass?

Gravitational attraction is a force that exists between two objects with mass. The strength of this force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. By measuring the gravitational force between two objects and knowing the distance between them, we can use Newton's law of universal gravitation to calculate the mass of one of the objects.

2. Can gravitational attraction be used to find the mass of any object?

Yes, gravitational attraction can be used to find the mass of any object that has mass and is affected by gravity. This includes planets, stars, and even everyday objects on Earth.

3. What is the formula for calculating mass using gravitational attraction?

The formula for calculating mass using gravitational attraction is: M = (F * d^2) / G, where M is the mass, F is the gravitational force, d is the distance between the two objects, and G is the universal gravitational constant. This formula is based on Newton's law of universal gravitation.

4. What units are used for mass and gravitational force in this calculation?

The standard units for mass are kilograms (kg). The standard units for gravitational force are Newtons (N). However, in some cases, other units such as pounds (lbs) and pounds-force (lbf) may be used. It is important to use consistent units in the calculation.

5. Are there any limitations to using gravitational attraction to find mass?

Yes, there are some limitations to using gravitational attraction to find mass. This method assumes that the objects involved are point masses (meaning all of their mass is concentrated at a single point) and that there are no external forces acting on them. In reality, most objects have a finite size and shape, and there may be other forces at play, such as air resistance or electromagnetic forces. These factors can impact the accuracy of the calculated mass.