How to find source current in transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses the single phase "exact"-equivalent circuit of a practical transformer and its parameters, including the source voltage, load, and equivalent impedance. The question is then posed to determine the source current and voltage.
ladykatt008

Homework Statement

Refer to the figure attached. The single phase "exact"-equivalent circuit of a practical transformer has the following equivalent circuit parameters: Np/Ns = 2400V/240V, Rp = 14.1, Xp = 31.2, Rs = 78.5*10^(-3), Xs = 120.5*10^(-3), Rc = 156*10^3, Xm = 172*10^3. The load is a resistor with a value of RL = 1.95. The source voltage is 2400 with an angle of 30 degrees.

Determine the source current I1.
Determine the voltage Ep.

2. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the equivalent impedance to be 216.683+j32.6405 ohms.
And I assume that I1 would just be the source voltage 2400 ang(30) divide by the equivalent impedance.. but I keep getting the wrong answer

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the reason you think your answer is wrong is because your text has the answer.

If you will show the answer you get and also the "correct" answer, we should be able to determine your problem.

1. How does a transformer work?

A transformer is an electrical device that transfers energy between two or more circuits through electromagnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of wire called the primary and secondary winding, which are electrically insulated but magnetically coupled. When an alternating current passes through the primary winding, it creates a changing magnetic field that induces a current in the secondary winding, resulting in the transfer of energy.

2. What is source current in a transformer?

Source current in a transformer refers to the current flowing through the primary winding. It is the current that is supplied to the transformer from an external source, such as a power plant, and is used to create a changing magnetic field that induces a current in the secondary winding.

3. How do you calculate source current in a transformer?

The source current in a transformer can be calculated by dividing the output power by the input voltage. This is known as the transformer's primary current formula: Ip = Pout / Vp. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the output current by the turns ratio of the transformer.

4. What factors affect the source current in a transformer?

The source current in a transformer is affected by several factors, including the transformer's design, the load on the secondary winding, and the input voltage. Additionally, the source current can also be affected by external factors such as temperature, frequency, and the quality of the power supply.

5. How can you measure the source current in a transformer?

The source current in a transformer can be measured using a clamp meter, which is a non-invasive device that measures the magnetic field created by the current flowing through the primary winding. It can also be measured by inserting an ammeter in series with the primary winding, which will show the actual current flowing through the transformer. However, caution must be taken when measuring the source current as it can be dangerous due to high voltage levels.