Source Transformation to find i_x

In summary,-Homework Statement says to use source transformation to find the current through the 24 Ohm resistor.-The attempt at a solution uses source transformation on the left 12V source and gets a .5A current upwards.-From here, using source transformation again, the voltage source on the left is equal to 6.67V in series with the 13.33 and 60 ohm resistors.-However, the attempt is a little lost since with the dependent current source on the right, is it safe to assume that it just becomes Vx with the 10 Ohm resistor in series?-If so, then one of the equations I was able to find using K
4Mike

Homework Statement

I'm to use source transformation to find the current through the 24 Ohm resistor

2. The attempt at a solution
I used source transformation on the left 12V source and got a .5A current upwards. The 24 and 30 ohm resistor are in parallel so I found an equivalent resistance of 13.33.
From here i used source transformation again and ended up with a voltage source of 6.67V on the left in series with the 13.33 and 60 ohm resistors.
Here's where I'm a little lost, with the dependent current source on the right, is it safe to assume that it just becomes Vx with the 10 Ohm resistor in series?
If so, then one of the equations I was able to find using KVL was -6.67 + 83.33ix + Vx = 0Any ideas on how I can find the next equation that includes Vx?

Attachments

• SourceTransformation.png
    SourceTransformation.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 533
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 4Mike, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Since the dependent source depends upon the current ix, it's not a good idea to transform away ix so that you can't get at it when writing your equations. If you transform the 12 V source and its 24 Ohm series resistor, ix disappears from the circuit.

Instead, why don't you start at the other end of the circuit, transforming the dependent current source and "swallowing up" the components in between? Yes, you'll have to carry the ix along as part of the expression for any new sources' value.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response!

Is it right that when I transform the 0.7ix current source it turns into Vx? What happens to the 0.7?

4Mike said:
Thanks for the quick response!

Is it right that when I transform the 0.7ix current source it turns into Vx? What happens to the 0.7?
Vx would be a new variable. How would it relate to the circuit? You would have to define it it terms of the given circuit parameters. If you just declare the new voltage source as Vx it won't contain any information about where it came from.

What you want to do is use the 0.7ix expression as the "value" of the current source and use it in the transformation of the current source into a voltage source when you construct the Thevenin equivalent.

I ended up getting the correct answer. I didn't realize that when I used source transformation, the ix variable remained the same, only the coefficient changed. Thanks for the help!

What is source transformation?

Source transformation is a technique used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits by replacing voltage sources with equivalent current sources, or vice versa.

When should source transformation be used?

Source transformation is typically used when analyzing circuits with multiple voltage sources and/or multiple current sources, as it can make the circuit easier to analyze and solve.

How do you perform source transformation?

To perform source transformation, you first need to identify the type of source (voltage or current) and the value of the source. Then, you can use the following equations to perform the transformation:

• Voltage source to current source: I = V/R
  • Current source to voltage source: V = IR

What is the purpose of using source transformation?

The purpose of source transformation is to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze and solve. It can also help to reduce the number of equations required to solve the circuit, making the process more efficient.

Are there any limitations to source transformation?

Source transformation can only be applied to linear circuits, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current must be linear. Additionally, source transformation cannot be used if there are dependent sources present in the circuit.