1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the DImensions of all the parts of the device

1. May 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As picture attached .We need to find the dimensions of all the parts that are Pin(A),Jaw(B and C), NUt (D) , Handle (E) .The jaw B is fixed and C is free to move towards B.There is a force T=1779.261 N on Jaw C.Secondly there is a human force involved in turning the handle (E) which is maximum of 100 N and can not exceed it.We need to find the dimensions for all the components discussed , especially the diameter of the threaded nut ,the verticle length of the Handle and the DIameter of the Pin being used.
    U can see the mechanism of car jack .its exactly the same jsut the difference is that tehre are two jaws in place of traingle in car jack.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well i think if we can possibly relate the work done is covering the distance with the force applied over the handle then we can caluculate the diemnsions of Handle and for the diameter of Nut if we can find its realtion with inertia .

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2007 #2
    addition in daigram uploaded before so see the new diagram

there is a little inforamtion missing in the first diagram so i have added it in the second diagram attached now.

Attached Files:

4. May 27, 2007 #3
    A little more of correction or can say ease in question

Well sorry for the inconvenience wlel i have modified the image more maybe it could be of little more help

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?