How to find the H index of an author using Google Scholar?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the H index of specific authors using Google Scholar or other free sources. It is mentioned that Google Scholar has an option to automatically calculate and display the H index on the author's page, assuming they have a public profile. However, it is also noted that Google Scholar does not allow for sorting of search results, so it may require manually sorting citation numbers. It is unclear if there are other reliable free sources available for finding H index for authors not listed on Google Scholar.
windy miller
TL;DR Summary
How do I look up H index?
Hi. I want to look up the H index of a few authors I am interested in using google scholar or some other site that i don't need to pay for access. But can't see how to do it. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't if it can be done directly in Google Scholar, as it doesn't seem to allow to sort the results of the search. I think you'll have to copy the citation numbers and sort them yourself.

Likes windy miller
thanks are there any other free sources?

Google scholar seems to automatically calculate this and show it on the right sidebar of the scientist's page. For example:

https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=qj74uXkAAAAJ&hl=en
Of course this assumes that the scientist has a Google Scholar page and that the page is accurate. No idea if there are any other good free sources if the author is not listed on Google Scholar.

Ygggdrasil said:
Google scholar seems to automatically calculate this and show it on the right sidebar of the scientist's page.
If I understood correctly, for this to work the author must have created a personal profile and made that profile public.

1. What is the H index and why is it important?

The H index is a metric used to measure the impact and productivity of a researcher's work. It takes into account both the number of publications and the number of citations for each publication. It is important because it provides a more comprehensive evaluation of a researcher's impact compared to just looking at the number of publications or citations alone.

2. How is the H index calculated?

The H index is calculated by first arranging a researcher's publications in descending order based on the number of citations. The H index is then the highest number where the number of publications with at least that number of citations is equal to or greater than the number itself. For example, if a researcher has 10 publications with at least 10 citations each, their H index would be 10.

3. Can I find the H index of any author using Google Scholar?

Yes, Google Scholar provides an option to view the H index of any author. However, the accuracy of the H index may vary as it relies on the data indexed by Google Scholar, which may not be complete or up-to-date.

4. How do I find the H index of an author using Google Scholar?

To find the H index of an author using Google Scholar, go to the Google Scholar homepage and click on the "Advanced Search" option. In the author field, enter the name of the author and click on the search button. The H index will be displayed next to the author's name in the search results.

5. Are there any limitations to using the H index?

Yes, the H index may not be an accurate measure for early-career researchers or those in fields with lower citation rates. It also does not take into account the quality or impact of individual publications. Therefore, it should be used in conjunction with other metrics and qualitative evaluations when assessing a researcher's impact.