How To Find The Integral of Sin x dx?

In summary: Sure, the derivative of ##e^x## is ##e^x##. But that's only for real ##x##. That's my entire point. To prove the relation also for complex ##x##, you need to use sines and cosines to begin with. So using complex exponentials for this problem requires you to assume something that you want to prove!Yes i understand what you are saying. That's a valid point you have made. So how would one go about that Micro? I'd use a Taylor series. As usual, micro's point is valid. However, if we assume the exponential function is holomorphic in the whole complex plane (I'm presenting this without much
vee6
How to find the integral of sin x dx?

$$\int sin x dx=?$$

Physics news on Phys.org
vee6 said:

$$\int sin x dx=?$$

Do you know what the derivative of ##\cos x## is?

vee6 said:

$$\int sin x dx=?$$
Do you know a function whose derivative is sin(x)? That would be the antiderivative you want.

vee6 said:

$$\int sin x dx=?$$
To find it? There are two ways I can think of:

1) Recognize that ##\frac{d}{dx}[-\cos(x)+C]=\sin(x)##

2) See that ##\sin(x)=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}##, and then integrate the complex exponentials.

Mandelbroth said:
To find it? There are two ways I can think of:

1) Recognize that ##\frac{d}{dx}[-\cos(x)+C]=\sin(x)##

2) See that ##\sin(x)=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}##, and then integrate the complex exponentials.

What is this?

##\sin(x)=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}##

This is obtained by using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_formula]Euler's[/PLAIN] formula and trigonometric identities [itex]\sin(-x)=-\sin(x)[/itex] and [itex]\cos(-x)=\cos(x)[/itex]. By knowing that [itex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{kx}=ke^{kx}[/itex], you can work out the integral by yourself. But memorizing simple derivatives can save your time dramatically...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mandelbroth said:

How do you find ##\int e^{ix}dx## in the first place? Without using the form as a sine or cosine?

$$\int e^{ix}~dx=i^3e^{ix} + c$$

Last edited:
lukka said:
The integral of e^ix is i^3(e^ix) +c = -i(e^ix) +c

How do you prove this though, without knowing what the integral of sin(x) is?

since i^3 (i) = i^4 = 1

dy/dx [i^3(e^ix)] = e^ix

lukka said:
since i^3 (i) = i^4 = 1

dy/dx [i^3(e^ix)] = e^ix

Ok, how do you know what the derivative of ##e^{ix}## is without using sines and cosines?

I'm not sure you can for anything but the most vigorous proof, but one will often know from experience that the exponential function that which is a weighted sum of the sine and cosine, equals it's own derivative. Maybe someone else could provide an answer to this..

Last edited:
lukka said:
I'm not sure you can for anything but the most vigorous proof Micro, but one will often know from experience that the exponential function that which is a weighted sum of the sine and cosine, equals it's own derivative. Maybe someone else could provide an answer to this..

Sure, the derivative of ##e^x## is ##e^x##. But that's only for real ##x##. That's my entire point. To prove the relation also for complex ##x##, you need to use sines and cosines to begin with. So using complex exponentials for this problem requires you to assume something that you want to prove!

Yes i understand what you are saying. That's a valid point you have made. So how would one go about that Micro? expand the complex exponential into the trigonometric form, separate the terms and integrate?

Last edited:
lukka said:
Yes i understand what you are saying. That's a valid point you have made. So how would one go about that Micro?
I'd use a Taylor series. As usual, micro's point is valid. However, if we assume the exponential function is holomorphic in the whole complex plane (I'm presenting this without much rigorous proof because I'm feeling a little lazy right now), it follows that the derivative of the exponential function in the complex plane is the same as the derivative of its Taylor series, id est
$$\frac{d(e^{ix})}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}\left[\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(ix)^n}{n!}\right]=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{i^{n+1}x^n}{n!}=ie^{ix}.$$

As an aside, using a Taylor series can also lead to noticing Euler's formula.

However, I was only attempting to provide an alternate method where we were free to assume differentiation of complex exponentials worked similarly to real exponentials. I was not intending to make it a debate point. I only meant to suggest an alternative method, which I personally use because, for some reason, I find it difficult to remember the derivatives of trig functions. :tongue:

Mandelbroth said:
I'd use a Taylor series. As usual, micro's point is valid. However, if we assume the exponential function is holomorphic in the whole complex plane (I'm presenting this without much rigorous proof because I'm feeling a little lazy right now), it follows that the derivative of the exponential function in the complex plane is the same as the derivative of its Taylor series, id est
$$\frac{d(e^{ix})}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}\left[\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(ix)^n}{n!}\right]=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{i^{n+1}x^n}{n!}=ie^{ix}.$$

Right. And then you need to know Taylor series. Additionally, you must be able to justify why you can exchange derivative and series. Do you think that somebody who just asked what the derivative of sin(x) is, know these things?

micromass said:
Right. And then you need to know Taylor series. Additionally, you must be able to justify why you can exchange derivative and series. Do you think that somebody who just asked what the derivative of sin(x) is, knows these things?
Again, no. I'm assuming they know the integral of a function of the form ##f(x)=e^{ax}##. Do you think someone who would ask such a thing would be doing a rigorous proof of the concept? I was providing my method of doing it, because I think it works.

By the way...I was responding to your question with that Taylor series. He didn't ask what the derivative of ##\sin{x}## was. He asked for the integral.

Mandelbroth said:
Again, no. I'm assuming they know the integral of a function of the form ##f(x)=e^{ax}##. Do you think someone who would ask such a thing would be doing a rigorous proof of the concept? I was providing my method of doing it, because I think it works.

People in calculus typically only see this for real numbers ##a## and ##x##. Not for complex variables.

I know your proof works. I'm just saying it's not helpful to the OP.

micromass said:
People in calculus typically only see this for real numbers ##a## and ##x##. Not for complex variables.

I'm letting him or her assume, without proof, that integration works similarly for complex ##a##. Again, the idea of the proof was for you, because you were asking how one finds the derivative of ##e^{ix}## without sines and cosines. I was also attempting to convey that, at this point, I don't think the OP is looking for a rigorous proof.

Now, let's stop bickering about complex variables and actually help the OP. Alright?

Mandelbroth said:
Now, let's ... actually help the OP. Alright?

This was done in the first three replies, none of which were acknowledged by vee6 that he understood them.

micromass said:

I disagree. Without indication how we are supposed to find the antiderivative (we could just state it and that would also answer the question), what the level of the OP is (e.g. how have we defined sin and cos?) and how rigorously we need to prove it, I think it's a useful point that LCKurtz has made.

1. How do I find the integral of sin x dx?

To find the integral of sin x dx, you can use the integration by parts method or the substitution method. Both methods involve following a set of steps and applying the appropriate rules to solve the integral.

2. What are the steps for finding the integral of sin x dx?

The steps for finding the integral of sin x dx are:
1. Identify the integral and determine which method to use
2. Apply the appropriate integration rule
3. Solve for the integral using algebraic manipulations
4. Check your solution by differentiating to see if it matches the original function.

3. Can I use the trigonometric identity for sin x to solve the integral?

Yes, you can use the trigonometric identity sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1 to simplify the integral of sin x dx. This can make the integration process easier and faster.

4. What is the general formula for finding the integral of sin x dx?

The general formula for finding the integral of sin x dx is:
∫ sin x dx = - cos x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

5. Is it possible to solve the integral of sin x dx without using any trigonometric identities?

Yes, it is possible to solve the integral of sin x dx without using any trigonometric identities. This can be done by using the substitution method, where you substitute sin x with u, and then solve for the integral using algebraic manipulations.