How to find the intersection of a cylinder and a plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the points on an ellipse that are closest and farthest from the origin, given a plane and a cylinder. The first step is to determine the intersection of the plane and cylinder, which can be solved using Lagrange multipliers. The goal is to minimize the distance to the origin while satisfying the constraints of the plane and the cylinder.
seto6

Homework Statement

The plane x+y+z=1 cuts the cylinder [tex]x^{2}[/tex]+[tex]y^{2}[/tex]=1 in an ellipse. Find the points on this ellipse that lie closests to and farthest from the origin.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

first step was to determine the intersection of the plane and the cylinder.
so x+y+z=[tex]x^{2}[/tex]+[tex]y^{2}[/tex], but i am kinda stuck solving this
i got to this far but i am really stuck, (x-3)(x+2)+6+(y-3)(y+2)+6=z.
any hints will really be appriciated, since this is one of the past exam questions. if i can find the intersection i can go on from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know lagrange multipliers?

just minimise distance to origin, or similarly x^2 + y^2 + z^2, with the constraints being the plane and the cylinder

thank you very much Lanedance,
i can not believe that i did not think of Lagrange multipliers.

1. What is the formula for finding the intersection of a cylinder and a plane?

The formula for finding the intersection of a cylinder and a plane is to first define the equation for the plane and the equation for the cylinder. Then, substitute one equation into the other to find the points of intersection.

2. How do you determine the number of intersections between a cylinder and a plane?

The number of intersections between a cylinder and a plane depends on the orientation of the plane and the position of the cylinder. Generally, there can be 0, 1, or 2 intersections. If the plane is parallel to the base of the cylinder, there will be no intersections. If the plane is perpendicular to the base, there will be one intersection. And if the plane intersects the cylinder at an angle, there will be two intersections.

3. Can a cylinder and a plane intersect at more than two points?

No, a cylinder and a plane can only intersect at a maximum of two points. This is because a cylinder is a three-dimensional object, while a plane is a two-dimensional object. Therefore, they can only intersect in two dimensions, resulting in a maximum of two points of intersection.

4. What is the significance of finding the intersection of a cylinder and a plane?

The intersection of a cylinder and a plane can be used to solve a variety of problems in geometry, physics, and engineering. It can help determine the position and orientation of objects in space, calculate the volume of intersecting shapes, and aid in creating three-dimensional models and designs.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the intersection of a cylinder and a plane?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when finding the intersection of a cylinder and a plane. If the plane is tangent to the cylinder, there will be only one point of intersection. If the cylinder is a cone, there will be an infinite number of intersections. And if the cylinder and plane are parallel, there will be no intersections.