Finding Y in Terms of X - Step by Step

• Thread starter 0000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the equation is y^2 - 2y - 1 - 3xy=0. You can solve for y by subtracting 1 from both sides.
¿How to Find Y?

Hi, I have this equation and I need to find Y in terms of X. Could anyone explain me, step by step, how to do it?

X=(Y-2)/3 - 1/3Y

Sorry if there is any grammar mistakes, english isn't my native language.

Physics news on Phys.org
Y cancels out as you see:

X = (Y-2)/3 - 1/3 Y = Y/3 - 2/3 - Y/3 = -2/3

X=(Y-2)/3 - 1/3Y
There is a little ambiguity, but I'll assume that the last term is1/(3Y), not (1/3)Y (repetit assumption). In that case, multiply all terms by Y and you will get a quadratic equation in Y, with X as part of the coefficient of the linear term. Solve the quadratic for Y and you will have your answer (actually two answers).

Thanks, it was 1/(3Y). My fault.

Welcome to the PF, 0000. Please be sure to post homework and coursework questions like this one in the Homework Help forums here on the PF (where I've moved this thread to), and not in the general forums.

Now, can you write out the quadratic equation as mathman has suggested, and show us how you would solve it?

ok

Ok, berkeman

X=(Y-2)/3 - 1/(3Y)

yx=y((y-2)/3) - 1/(3Y))

yx=(y^2 - 2y)/3 -y/3y)

yx=(y^2 - 2y)/3 - 1/3

yx=(y^2 - 2y - 1)/3

y^2 - 2y - 1 - 3yx=0

y^2 - y(2+3x) - 1 = 0

a=1
b=-(2+3x) = (-2 - 3x)
c=-1

y=((2+3x)±√(9x^2 + 12x + 8))/2

Last edited:
yx=(y^2 - 2y)/3 - 1/3
yx=(y^2 - 2y - 1)
You forgot a 3 there. It's correct on the next line though.

y^2 - 2y - 1 - 3yx=0
y^2 - y(2-3x) - 1 = 0
Are you sure? Check what happens if you work out the brackets in the second line. I think it's a minus sign off.

The idea is correct though, just watch the minuses :)

1. How do I find Y in terms of X?

To find Y in terms of X, you will need to rearrange the equation so that Y is isolated on one side of the equals sign. This can be done by using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on both sides of the equation. By doing this, you will be able to express Y as a function of X.

2. What is the importance of finding Y in terms of X?

Finding Y in terms of X is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between two variables. It also helps us to solve equations and make predictions or calculations based on the given information.

3. Can you provide an example of finding Y in terms of X?

Sure, let's say we have the equation 4x + 2 = 3y and we want to find Y in terms of X. We can start by subtracting 2 from both sides to get 4x = 3y - 2. Then, we can divide both sides by 3 to get (4/3)x = y - (2/3). Finally, we can add (2/3) to both sides to get y = (4/3)x + (2/3). This is Y expressed in terms of X.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding Y in terms of X?

Some common mistakes to avoid when finding Y in terms of X include forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation, using the wrong order of operations, and making calculation errors. It is important to double check your work and simplify your final answer.

5. How can I use the equation Y = mx + b to find Y in terms of X?

The equation Y = mx + b is known as the slope-intercept form, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept. To find Y in terms of X using this equation, you can simply rearrange it to get mx = Y - b, and then divide both sides by m to get x = (Y - b)/m. This is Y expressed in terms of X.