Can I Get an A- in Any Class with These Strategies?

In summary, the best strategies for getting an A- in any given class include dedicating enough time to homework and studying, attending office hours and study sessions, getting enough sleep, studying the course thoroughly at least twice, ensuring strong prerequisite knowledge, avoiding looking at answer keys, and collaborating with friends only after making a good effort to complete assignments. It is also important to attend every class, do all the assigned reading and homework, and review past exams.
CmSmith
What're the best strategies or techniques you've used in order to get at least an A- in any given class?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. My best advice:
Spend the required amount of time doing homework and studying.
Go to office hours, study sessions, and/or get with others to study.
Get plenty of sleep.

CmSmith said:
What're the best strategies or techniques you've used in order to get at least an A- in any given class?
Study the course thoroughly one whole time before studying it again. This worked for me! Yes, this includes doing all the "homework" problems and exercises that you can BOTH times, and doing any example problems given along the sections of the course in the book.

Something more to consider, is to be sure you are strong in the prerequisite knowledge for the course you wish to have "A-" in. Why would some students earn F or D their first time taking something like Calculus 1 ? Because they may be weak in either some of their Algebra 2 or their Trigonometry, OR BOTH. Why would a student earn D or F in something like Calculus 2? Because they may be weak in some of their Calculus 1 knowledge.

Don't look at the answer keys. It's better to get a problem set question wrong than look for solutions before you're finished.

Also, collaborate with your friends only AFTER you have made a good effort to finish all the problems in your problem set.

Likes Orson and symbolipoint
have the prerequisites. go to every class. do all the reading. do all the homework. go to office hours with questions. learn every theorem and proof given in class and practice writing them out. review old copies of past exams from the course and work all of them.

Likes Orson

1. How much effort do I need to put in to get at least an A- in a science course?

The amount of effort needed to get at least an A- in a science course will vary depending on your individual strengths and weaknesses, as well as the difficulty of the course. However, generally speaking, you will need to dedicate a significant amount of time and effort to studying, attending lectures, completing assignments, and seeking help from your professor or peers.

2. What study strategies should I use to increase my chances of getting at least an A-?

Some effective study strategies to help you achieve an A- in a science course include creating a study schedule, breaking down complex topics into smaller, manageable chunks, practicing active learning techniques such as summarizing and quizzing yourself, and seeking help from your professor or a tutor if needed.

3. Is it important to attend every lecture and lab session to get at least an A-?

Attending lectures and lab sessions is crucial for understanding and retaining the material in a science course. However, missing one or two sessions will not necessarily prevent you from getting at least an A-. It is important to prioritize attending classes, but if you do miss a session, be sure to catch up on the material as soon as possible.

4. How important is it to participate in class discussions and ask questions to get at least an A-?

Participating in class discussions and asking questions is an important part of the learning process. It not only helps you better understand the material, but it also shows your professor that you are actively engaged in the course. While it is not the only factor in getting an A-, active participation can certainly help improve your grade.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help me get at least an A- in a science course?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help you achieve an A- in a science course. These can include study groups, tutoring services, online resources, and study guides. Additionally, your professor may have study materials or practice exams that you can utilize. Don't be afraid to reach out for help and take advantage of these resources to improve your chances of getting an A-.