How to get job in Aerospace Engineering?

In summary, Antonio says that he has a Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering from Polytechnics of Turin (Italy). He is looking for a job in the aerospace field, but he has had difficulty finding a position. He is worried that his lack of citizenship status may be a problem. He also advises Dr. D to try looking for a job in Italy, as Augusta seems to be a difficult place to find a job at the moment.
Antonio978
I have an equivalent Master’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering from Polytechnics of Turin (Italy).
I am permanent resident of the United States of America. I have been in the Country for over one year.
I appreciate to have some advice about getting a job in aerospace field; I have been sending my resume at the biggest aeronautical company of the US.
I am looking for entry level position, but seem impossible get in!

Thank you in advance for yours advices!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at companies that manufacture components for aerospace vehicles.

You picked a heck of a time to try to get a job. Bad timing is nothing you can do anything about.

I assume by permanent resident you mean that you don't have to keep renewing a visa every year. You may have issues with a non-citizen status.

You have to keep trying. The bigger companies, OEMs may be tougher to get in with. Like was already mentioned, you may want to look at suppliers first.

Antonio, you said you have "an equivalent Master’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering." That word "equivalent" always worried me back when I was in the position of hiring engineers because I always wondered just what it meant. Don't be surprised if you are questioned pretty closely about this.

You are not a US citizen, you just eliminated a good majority of aerospace jobs.

Dr.D,
The Italian University system is different from the American.
When I said that my degree is “equivalent” to a Master’s Degree I mean that I have a Credential Evaluation from a US institution which upon the evaluation of my course studies and Thesis, I have earned a 5-year University degree that is the same as a US Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering, specializing in Propulsion.

My Thesis was based on a University funded project I participated in, developing and testing the engines, carbon fiber rotors and fuselage of an UAV. I continued working on this project for 2 years after my graduation and completion of my Thesis.

Thank you for your attention!

Do you have a green card? Impeccable references? A stellar resume?

This is a heck of a time to be looking for a job.

Permanent resident status means that I can work for any employer without sponsorship. A visa means you can work just if someone sponsors you...
The only issue with a non-citizen status is that for now I am unable to work for some goverment/military clearance required jobs.

I know, it is very rough right now...!

Antonio978 said:
Permanent resident status means that I can work for any employer without sponsorship. A visa means you can work just if someone sponsors you...
The only issue with a non-citizen status is that for now I am unable to work for some goverment/military clearance required jobs.

hence, why no one is hiring you. Who do you think Buys UAVs?

Even most civil companies for rotorcraft like sikorski require you to be a US citizen. Why don't you go back to Italy and work for Augusta?

Cyrus
With my background I am able to work for any engineering field, thank God right now even with this tough economy I have a job.
When I will be citizen maybe will be different, I could achieve my dreams.
In the mean time why you do not try to go in Italy and work for Augusta?
But first remember to get the italian citizienship...

Antonio978 said:
Cyrus
With my background I am able to work for any engineering field, thank God right now even with this tough economy I have a job.
When I will be citizen maybe will be different, I could achieve my dreams.
In the mean time why you do not try to go in Italy and work for Augusta?
But first remember to get the italian citizienship...

Well, you are an Italian citizen, are you not? :confused:

Yes I am, and in few years I will be american citizen also. Have you ever herd about the dual citizienship?

There are tons of excellent european companies hiring right now, why tough it out in the US?

Antonio978 said:
Permanent resident status ...
Stupid question on my part; permanent resident status is the same as having a green card.

How about my other two questions: Do you have impeccable references and a stellar resume? This is a heck of a time to be looking for a job in any field. Your field makes it extra difficult. Looking for a job as a foreigner in aerospace has been very tough since September 11, 2001. The much tighter ITAR rules in place since then makes it very, very hard to hire non-citizens. You have to be stellar.

Antonio978 said:
Yes I am, and in few years I will be american citizen also. Have you ever herd about the dual citizienship?

Ok, so back to my original point. Have you tried obtaining a job in Augusta plant in Italy?

DH had a good point. At my company, there are a lot of ITAR resrtictions that mandate a lot of legal work to allow a foreign person to even look at a machine or process. It is very cumbersome and a lot of work. You may be facing that no matter where you go.

Also, have you had anyone look at your resume and critique it?

FredGarvin
Unfortunately I never had the opportunity here in US to have anyone look and critique my resume! But I am sure would be very constructive!

Antonio, here is what you do. Post your resume on Monster.com. You will be contacted by several hiring agencies. I get hits for aerospace work continually. One in particular is http://www.aerotek.com/" [Broken] you could contact them directly. They got me on with my current job and the salary is significant. You will most likely be working as a contractor for the first year while the hiring agency makes a few bucks off you for finding you the job. Then, if the company wants to keep you, they'll ask you what you want and make you an offer. Remember, if your not embarassed by what you ask for then you aren't asking enough... good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drankin,
Thank you very much for your suggestion. I appreciated it!

I'm so happy I found this forum. I've found so much great information. Finding a job in this economy can be rough. However, I've made my career with http://jobs.meetngc.com/. If you're looking for aerospace jobs they are a great organization to work for. Best of luck in your job search.

Cyrus said:
You are not a US citizen, you just eliminated a good majority of aerospace jobs.

Oh, grow up. "...a good majority?" One person? Please.

I'm definitely not a fan of illegal immigrants taking employment away from either myself or others. But if a legal immigrant does so, that's a function and result of Hillary's State Department (I think that's her say-so).

If not, please point me in the right direction so I can better direct my efforts with respect to furthering/adhering to what our founding fathers established eons ago.

And to great effort.

mugaliens, I think you misunderstood his comment. He was saying that by being a non-citizen, he is essentially unable to work at "a good majority" of the aerospace jobs out there.

Of course, as we all know, this isn't really true. A good majority of the national defense related aerospace jobs, sure, but definitely not the overall aerospace market. I doubt Boeing cares if an Italian is working on the 737 replacement, nor would the government.

My question is this: if Antonio978 specialized in propulsion, why is he not looking at GE, Pratt & Whitney, or Rolls-Royce? I know for a fact that they hire internationals for non-ITAR-restricted programs.

I expect the OP has stopped reading this thread two years after he started it, whether or not he has found a job.

1. How do I prepare for a job in Aerospace Engineering?

To prepare for a job in Aerospace Engineering, it is important to have a strong background in math and science, particularly in physics, calculus, and mechanics. It is also recommended to gain hands-on experience through internships or research projects. Additionally, keeping up with industry advancements and technologies can also give you an edge in the job market.

2. What skills are needed for a job in Aerospace Engineering?

Some essential skills for a job in Aerospace Engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, critical thinking, and the ability to work in a team. Other important skills may include proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, knowledge of aerodynamics and propulsion systems, and strong communication skills.

3. What education is required for a job in Aerospace Engineering?

Typically, a bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering or a related field such as Mechanical Engineering or Physics is required for entry-level positions in the field. Some employers may also prefer candidates with a master's degree or specific certifications. It is crucial to research the specific education and training requirements of the company you are interested in working for.

4. What types of job opportunities are available in Aerospace Engineering?

Aerospace Engineering offers a wide range of job opportunities in various fields such as aircraft design and manufacturing, spacecraft design and development, research and development, and systems engineering. Some common job titles in this field include Aerospace Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Avionics Engineer, and Systems Engineer.

5. How can I stand out in the job application process for Aerospace Engineering?

To stand out in the job application process for Aerospace Engineering, it is important to have a strong resume and cover letter that highlight your relevant skills and experiences. Networking with professionals in the industry and attending job fairs can also help you make connections and learn about potential job opportunities. Additionally, continuously improving your skills and knowledge through courses, certifications, and conferences can make you a more competitive candidate.