How to get the commutation relation of q and p

In summary, the commutation relations between position and momentum follow from symmetry considerations. The commutation rules follow from the fact that the operators that extract these quantities from a plane wave have the same mathematical properties. The commutation relation is a fundamental postulate and cannot be derived.
chern
We all know that quantum theory is based on the commutation relation and superposition principle. The trouble haunting me long time is that how to "get" the famous commutation relation? Could anybody give me an explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The commutation rules follow from symmetry considerations. The basic quantities are defined as generators of the symmetries of space and time. The components of momentum wrt. to a Cartesian basis build the generators for spatial translations. This implies the commutation relations with a position operator, provided the latter exists. This is the case for all massive particles and for massless particles with spin [itex]\leq 1/2[/itex].

The commutation relation is a fundamental postulate and cannot be derived.

One way to guess is it is from the classical commutation relation (Poisson brackets) of canonically conjugate observables. Also, from the uncertainty relation. However, since quantum mechanics is more fundamental, we now usually see the classical commutation relation between canonically conjugate variables as the classical limit of the quantum commutation relation. The uncertainty relation is also a consequence of the commutation relation.

The violation of Bell's inequality is nowdays seen as summarizing quantum weirdness, and within quantum mechanics the violation requires non-commuting observables and entanglement.

Well it depends on what you mean by p and q, I suppose. I'm going to assume you mean to ask about the commutation for regular position and momentum.

It has to do with the basic construction of quantum mechanics along with

momentum [itex]\Leftrightarrow \hbar \mathbf{k}[/itex] (wavevector)
Energy [itex]\Leftrightarrow \hbar \omega [/itex] (frequency)

This leads us to the Schrodinger equation. We simply define the operator [itex]\mathbf{p}[/itex] so that it extracts the momentum from a plane wave [itex]e^{ik x - i\omega t}[/itex]

So we want the operator [itex]p[/itex] to extract the k as a coefficient like so:
[itex]p\, e^{ikx - i\omega t} = \hbar k \,e^{ikx - i\omega t} [/itex]

This can be done if we define p as
[itex]p \equiv -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex]

Since the derivative brings down a factor of [itex]ik[/itex], and[itex]-i\hbar \, ik = \hbar k [/itex].

This results in the commutation relations for position and momentum. Note that [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} (x f(x)) \neq x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x)[/itex].

\begin{align*} (xp - px) f(x) &= -i\hbar\left( x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x) - \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (x f(x)) \right) \\ &=-i\hbar \left( x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x) - \left[f(x) + x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} f(x)\right] \right) \\
& = -i\hbar\left(-f(x) \right) \\ &= i\hbar f(x)\end{align*}

So we conclude then that [itex]\left[x,\, p\right] = i\hbar[/itex]. The product rule was used to get from the first line to the second line.

Likes 1 person
atyy said:
The commutation relation is a fundamental postulate and cannot be derived.

That's not quite true - strictly speaking it is, but many would say its determined by the symmetries of the POR ie quantum probabilities are invariant between frames. Actually its the same reason for classical mechanics as well except the symmetries are in the Lagrangian and not probabilities - but that is another story.

See chapter 3 - Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810241054/?tag=pfamazon01-20

As usual Vanhees is spot on.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person

1. What is the commutation relation between q and p?

The commutation relation between q and p is given by [q, p] = qp - pq, where q and p are operators in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the commutation relation derived?

The commutation relation is derived from the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum must be greater than or equal to the reduced Planck's constant, h-bar.

3. Why is the commutation relation important?

The commutation relation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of quantum mechanical systems. It also plays a crucial role in the formulation of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. What is the physical significance of the commutation relation?

The commutation relation has physical significance because it tells us that position and momentum cannot both be known with arbitrary precision in quantum mechanics. It also helps us determine the allowed energy levels and the dynamics of a quantum system.

5. Can the commutation relation be generalized to other operators?

Yes, the commutation relation can be generalized to any two operators in quantum mechanics. The commutator of two operators A and B is defined as [A, B] = AB - BA, and it plays a similar role in determining the properties and behavior of quantum systems.