How to integrate a function with a square root in it

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation using integration by parts and substitution, but was unable to solve it. They found a solution using a substitution, but found a problem with the conversion. They eventually solved the equation using the substitution and a conversion.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

find [tex] \int x^{\frac{3}{2}}\sqrt{1+x} dx [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i tried all the methods i know of which include integration by parts and substitution,the integration by parts didn't work too well, so substitution I tried.
let [tex]u=tan^2x[/tex] and [tex]du = 2tanxsec^2x[/tex]

eventually giving me
[tex]\int tan^4xsec^3x dx[/tex] which i can't do

and if I used [tex]u^2=x+1[/tex] I eventually get

[tex]2\int u^3(u^2-1)^\frac{3}{2} du[/tex] which i also can't do

is there any useful substitution i can do?

Physics news on Phys.org
hm..it seems they did integration by parts with u=x^n and dv=square root but I can't follow it from there...

But why can't you do the first integral? you can just change tan, sec to sin and cos's and then do a substitution which will give you like..3 fractions of u to some power divided by u to some greater power.

Last edited:
bob1182006 said:
hm..it seems they did integration by parts with u=x^n and dv=square root but I can't follow it from there...

But why can't you do the first integral? you can just change tan, sec to sin and cos's and then do a substitution which will give you like..3 fractions of u to some power divided by u to some greater power.
because then i will get

[tex]\int (sec^7\theta -2sec^5\theta + sec^3\theta)d\theta[/tex]

No just keep it as:

[tex]\int\frac{tan^4 x}{sec^3 x} dx[/tex]

but write tan and sec as sin/cos to give you:

[tex]\int\frac{sin^4 x}{cos^4 x}\frac{1}{cos^3} dx [/tex]

and then simplify those fractions into 1, then do a substitution.

bob1182006 said:
[tex]\int\frac{sin^4 x}{cos^4 x}\frac{1}{cos^3} dx [/tex]

and then simplify those fractions into 1, then do a substitution.

Wouldn't simplifying it bring it back to an expression with tan and sec in it

no what do you get if you simplify [itex]cos^4 x * cos^3 x[/itex]? then you can do the substitution.

bob1182006 said:
no what do you get if you simplify [itex]cos^4 x * cos^3 x[/itex]? then you can do the substitution.

Well I would get [tex] cos^3\theta-2sin^2\thetacos^2\theta+sin^4\thetacos^3\theta[/tex] by using [tex] cos^2\theta+sin^2\theta=1[/tex]

or should i get a substitution for [tex]cos^3 x[/tex]

if you have [itex]cos^n x * cos^m x[/itex] you simplify it the same as: [itex]u^n*u^m[/itex] which is equal to?

[tex]u^n*u^m = u^{n+m}[/tex] thus [tex]cos^3\theta * cos^4\theta = cos^7\theta[/tex]

yep so now you have
[tex]\int\frac{sin^4 x dx}{cos^7 x}[/tex]

so what substitution would be nice there?

bob1182006 said:
yep so now you have
[tex]\int\frac{sin^4 x dx}{cos^7 x}[/tex]

so what substitution would be nice there?

well normally I'd say [tex]u=cosx[/tex] but the high powers of the integrand is confusing me a bit

Hm..ok just saw a bit of a problem...

when you do u=cos x the top sin^4 x has to be split to sin x * sin^2 x * sin x which will be a square root * a polynomial.

also that reduction formula you found might not work since it needs x^(n-1) and if you use it you'll get x^(1/2) and x^(-1/2) so you won't hit x^0 which is needed...

so...there really is no way to integrate this?

There is an analytical answer, but it is a pretty nasty integral judging by the answer mathematica gives. I can't immediately think of a good trig substitution or good way to go about it. It might end up being that you need to use a mixture of integration by parts and some form of substitution, but if this is a problem that you set up I would make sure that everything leading up to the equation is right.

the integrator from the Mathematica website can do it but I have no idea how...

seems like you're going to get some sort of square root * polynomial and then + some hyperbolic function...

Well this is just one question that my Further math teacher gave me..although he doesn't show you how to do them if you don't get it out

I got a solution, but damn it was hard. I am going to try to find an easier method.

Tried x=(sinh(u))^2 and it works through to the same result as Mathematica.
After substitution you convert the sinh's, cosh's to exponents using sinh(u)=0.5*(exp(u)-exp(-u)), cosh(u)=0.5*(exp(u)+exp(-u)).
You get a simple integral but then you have to work to convert the sinh's and cosh's of multiples of u to powers of sinh(u) and cosh(u) but it works out fine.

How did you get u=tan^2(x)??

because x is really [sqrt(x)]^2 having trouble seeng the tan^2(x).

Last edited:
SanjeevGupta said:
Tried x=(sinh(u))^2 and it works through to the same result as Mathematica.
After substitution you convert the sinh's, cosh's to exponents using sinh(u)=0.5*(exp(u)-exp(-u)), cosh(u)=0.5*(exp(u)+exp(-u)).
You get a simple integral but then you have to work to convert the sinh's and cosh's of multiples of u to powers of sinh(u) and cosh(u) but it works out fine.
Well I didn't really learn hyperbolic functions yet as I am a few classes behind so I guess I'll have to read about it online and see if i can do it

Well using [tex]x=sinh^2x[/tex] gives a lot of algebra to work out so I guess I must work it out and post back the answer

1. How do I integrate a function with a square root in it?

To integrate a function with a square root, you can use the substitution method. Let u be the expression under the square root and rewrite the function in terms of u. Then substitute u back into the integral and solve for the new integral.

2. What is the general formula for integrating a square root function?

The general formula for integrating a square root function is: ∫(sqrt(x)) dx = (2/3)x^(3/2) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

3. Can I use the power rule to integrate a function with a square root?

No, the power rule cannot be used to integrate a function with a square root. The power rule only applies to functions where the power is a constant, not a variable like a square root.

4. Are there any other methods for integrating a function with a square root?

Yes, apart from the substitution method, you can also use trigonometric substitutions or integration by parts to integrate a function with a square root. However, the choice of method depends on the specific function and its complexity.

5. Is there any special consideration when integrating a function with a square root in the denominator?

Yes, when integrating a function with a square root in the denominator, you need to rationalize the denominator before solving the integral. This involves multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the square root expression to eliminate the square root in the denominator.