1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to integrate dx/(1+e^x)

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    Someone please tell me how to integrate dx/(1+e^x).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Since you have 1 + ex in the denominator, you would want something like d(ex) instead of dx. So let's try multiplying both numerator and denominator by ex.
    [tex]\int \frac{dx}{1 + e ^ x} = \int \frac{e ^ x dx}{e ^ x(1 + e ^ x)} = \int \frac{d(e ^ x)}{e ^ x(1 + e ^ x)} = = \int \left( \frac{1}{e ^ x} - \frac{1}{e ^ x + 1} \right) d(e ^ x)[/tex].
    Can you go from here?
    Viet Dao,
  4. Oct 13, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or: almost the same thing, let u= 1+ex. Then du= exdx so that dx= du/ex.
    The integral is [tex]\int\frac{du}{e^x u}[/tex]
    You still have ex in your integral but since u= 1+ ex
    ex= u- 1:
    The integral is [tex]\int\frac{du}{(u-1)u}[/tex] which can be done by "partial fractions" giving exactly what VietDao29 had.
  5. Oct 13, 2005 #4
    You can do it in another way ..

Multiply the numerator and denominator by e-x

so ..

[tex] \int \frac { dx} { 1 + e^x} = -\int \frac { - e^ {-x} } { e^ {-x } +1 } \ dx

Now .. the numerator is the derivative of the denominator , so you can integrate easily .
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  6. Oct 13, 2005 #5
    I'm trying to evaluate int: dv/(1+(A/(mg))alpha*v) from [vo,v] = -gt

You should get [ v- ln(1 +(A/(mg))alpha*v)/alpha ] limits v and vo = -gt

I tried the partial fractions and it won't match the answer, that U - 1 will cancel with the 1 + a /mb alpha v etc.

you will get the ln over alpha but I have no idea where the V - in front of that comes from.

so your left with just a /mg alpha v which is not correct. the last method looked tempting but I would just end up with ln u which is even worse
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?