How to intuitively see the v^2 relation to kinetic energy?

In summary, the equation for kinetic energy is Work=\int v dp, where p is the momentum. If the momentum is moving in the same direction as the kinetic energy, then the equation is positive. If the momentum is moving in the opposite direction, then the equation is negative.
ForTheGreater
KE is proportional to v^2. In a gravitational field KE=1/2 m*v^2.
It's easy to find mathematically Work=Fd=mad=m(v/t)(v*t)=m*v^2.

But how to visualize it or get an intuitively "feel" for this v^2 relationship?

Physics news on Phys.org
The amount of power it takes to push something is equal to how hard you push times how fast you push. So far that's pretty intuitive right?

Accelerating something that's moving fast requires me to push fast.
Accelerating something that's moving slow requires that I push slow.

If I push equally hard on the fast thing and the slow thing, then I'll put more power into the fast thing, so, it will be accumulating more kinetic energy while accelerating at the same rate.

mrspeedybob said:
If I push equally hard on the fast thing and the slow thing, then I'll put more power into the fast thing, so, it will be accumulating more kinetic energy while accelerating at the same rate.

Yes, thank you.

Funny you should respond today. I was thinking about this again today and I reason as such that momentum is m*v and the rate at which momentum is traveling is (m*v)*v which is kinetic energy. I like the way you put it very much too.

There is a completely different way to approach a semi-intuitive understanding that agrees with everyday observations.

Consider two cars colliding while traveling 60 mph. If they were traveling in the same direction, the consequences are very different than if they were traveling in opposite directions. Thus, momentum has a +- sign. ##v^1## has a +- sign.

Consider the energy needed to accelerate a car to 60 mph. You could measure that by the fuel consumed during acceleration. The fuel needed is always positive regardless of the +- orientation of the drag strip. ##v^2## is always positive.

Using these arguments, momentum must be proportional to an odd power of v and energy proportional to an even power of v. 1 and 2 are the smallest (simplest) nonzero powers that fit. If you always guess the simplest possible solution, you will nearly always be correct.

Therefore, based only what you observe at the drag strip, your intuition should make you guess ##v^2## for K.E. and ##v^1## for momentum. Further search of your intuitive knowledge of car collisions (based on watching Mythbusters on TV) should lead you to conclude that both momentum and K.E. must also be proportional to mass.

##p=mv## and ##K.E.=mv^2## can be completely intuitive without studying physics. Do you agree?

Likes physics user1
Good Definitions are a good place to start.
##Work=\int v dp## is a very general definition.
Now use p=mv. Then work = the change in kinetic energy. The important factor of 1/2 shows up.

The same definition works in special relativity... but you don't get a quadratic relation.

Likes physics user1

Related to How to intuitively see the v^2 relation to kinetic energy?

1. What is the v^2 relation to kinetic energy?

The v^2 relation to kinetic energy is a mathematical expression that shows the relationship between an object's velocity (v) and its kinetic energy (KE). It states that the kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to the square of its velocity. In other words, as an object's velocity increases, its kinetic energy increases exponentially.

2. How does the v^2 relation explain kinetic energy?

The v^2 relation is derived from the formula for kinetic energy (KE = 1/2 * m * v^2), where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. It shows that the kinetic energy of an object is dependent on both its mass and velocity, with the velocity having a greater impact on the kinetic energy due to its squared relationship.

3. Can you provide an example of the v^2 relation to kinetic energy?

Sure, imagine a car traveling at 50 miles per hour (mph) and another car of the same mass traveling at 100 mph. The second car has a velocity that is twice that of the first car, but the v^2 relation shows that its kinetic energy is four times greater (100^2 = 10,000 vs. 50^2 = 2,500). This is because the velocity is squared in the formula for kinetic energy.

4. How does the v^2 relation impact real-world scenarios?

The v^2 relation is important in understanding the amount of energy required for an object to move at a certain velocity. It is used in various fields, such as engineering and physics, to calculate the necessary speed and kinetic energy of objects in motion. It also helps in understanding the potential dangers of high-speed collisions, as the kinetic energy involved is directly related to the square of the velocity.

5. Is the v^2 relation always applicable to kinetic energy?

No, the v^2 relation is only applicable in cases where the object is moving in a straight line at a constant speed. In situations where the object's velocity is changing, such as in circular motion or when there are external forces acting on the object, the v^2 relation does not fully explain the kinetic energy of the object. In these cases, other factors, such as acceleration and work, must also be considered to fully understand the kinetic energy of the object.