How to know if the given vector is less or greater than the other vector?

• Thread starter sarah22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, to determine if a given vector is less or greater than another vector, you can use norms which represent the length of a vector. In the two-dimensional case, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the norm. For vectors with more than two components, the Euclidean norm can be used. However, there is no standard definition for comparing vectors and the best approach is to order them by their length.
sarah22
I'm creating a Bounding Box for my game engine right now and I need to get the vector min and max of the given model. I'm going to loop on all vertices then check if is the minimum or the maximum then use it to draw a box on the whole model.

I'm new in linear algebra and also new in 3D world. Is there any formula on how to know if the given vector is less or greater than the other vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are comparing their lengths/magnitudes, using norms should work. Norm is kind of a fancy term for length in most cases.

The easiest way to visualize a norm is to consider the two-dimensional case. If we have some vector (a, b) then we can find its length by considering the horizontal and vertical projections. The horizontal component is a horizontal line segment (along the x-axis) of length a (x runs from 0 to a). The vertical component, similarly, is of length b (y runs from 0 to b). We now just have a right triangle and can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of (a, b). The norm is usually indicated by notation similar to absolute value bars or some texts use two absolute value bars.

[tex]||(a, b)|| = \sqrt[]{a^2 + b^2}[/tex]

Vectors with more than two components are pretty similar for the Euclidean norm.

If [tex]x = (x_1, x_2, ..., x_n)[/tex] then

[tex]||x|| = \sqrt[]{x_1^2 + x_2^2 + ... + x_n^2}[/tex]

You would first have to define what you mean "less" or "greater" for vectors- there is no standard definition. About the best you can do is pbandjay's suggestion: order vectors by their length. That is not a "linear order" and does NOT satisfy "tricotomy" (given two objects that are not equal, one is "less" than the other)- many non-equal vectors have the same length and so are not "less" or "greater" than each other.

1. How do I compare two vectors to determine which one is greater?

To compare two vectors, you can use the magnitude or length of the vectors. The vector with the larger magnitude is considered greater.

2. What if the vectors have the same magnitude?

If the vectors have the same magnitude, you can compare their direction. The vector with the larger angle or direction is considered greater.

3. Can I compare vectors with different dimensions?

No, vectors with different dimensions cannot be compared as they represent different quantities and cannot be directly compared.

4. How can I compare two vectors in 3-dimensional space?

In 3-dimensional space, you can use the dot product or cross product to compare two vectors. The dot product results in a scalar value, while the cross product results in a vector. The greater value or vector will determine which vector is greater.

5. Is there a way to visually compare two vectors?

Yes, you can graphically represent the two vectors on a coordinate plane and compare their length and direction. The vector with the longer length or larger angle is considered greater.