How to know the level of a tank by displacing the liquid

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with determining the level of liquid in a tank using a bubbler level gauge system. The known data includes the height, diameter, density, and volume of the tank. The person suggests using a differential pressure sensor and asks for a formula to determine the tank level based on the required pressure to displace the liquid. The other person mentions Pascal's law and advises the use of Google to find a formula. They also mention the purpose of the forum is to teach rather than simply providing answers.
Fernando Franco
Hi friends,

I have the following problem, I know there is a system named bubbler level gauge, it works by measuring the required pressure to displace the liquid inside a tank.

My known data is:

the height of the tank
The Diamater
The Density of the liquid
The Volume of the tank

Let's say I place a differential pressure sensor and I read the required pressure to displace the liquid, how can I know the level of the tank ? there must be a formula to determine when the tank is full, or 50%, knowing the pressure required to displace the water

(please take a look at the following image)
bubbler.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with Pascal's law?

billy_joule said:
Are you familiar with Pascal's law?
Not much, do you have a formula my friend?

1. How does displacing liquid help determine the level of a tank?

Displacing liquid involves measuring the volume or weight of the liquid in the tank and using that information to calculate the level of the liquid based on the tank's dimensions and capacity.

2. What equipment is needed to measure the level of a tank by displacing the liquid?

The basic equipment needed includes a measuring instrument such as a ruler, tape measure, or dipstick, as well as a calculator or computer to perform the necessary calculations. More advanced equipment may also be used, such as sensors or ultrasonic gauges.

3. What are the advantages of using displacement to determine tank level?

Displacement is a simple and accurate method for measuring tank level. It does not require any special equipment or technical knowledge, making it accessible for anyone to use. It also does not involve any contact with the liquid, making it a safe option for handling potentially hazardous materials.

4. Are there any limitations to using displacement to determine tank level?

Displacement is most effective for tanks with regular shapes and consistent dimensions. It may not be as accurate for irregularly shaped tanks or those with varying dimensions. Additionally, displacement does not take into account any changes in the liquid's density, which may affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. How often should tank levels be checked using displacement?

The frequency of checking tank levels using displacement will depend on the specific needs of the tank and its contents. In general, it is recommended to check tank levels regularly to ensure efficient and safe operations. This may be daily, weekly, or monthly, depending on the usage and importance of the tank.