How to know what proposal to write for observation?

• I
  • Thread starter Phys12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observation
In summary, the conversation discusses the upcoming acceptance of proposals for NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and the professor's request for proposal ideas. The speaker expresses their uncertainty in choosing observations, but is interested in the experience of writing proposals. They also inquire about the process of determining and writing necessary observations and are advised to look at previous proposals with the help of their professor. Additionally, the speaker is reminded not to use informal language like "wanna" in their proposals.
Phys12
So, proposals are soon going to be accepted for the NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and the professor that I am currently working on asked us to come up with ideas for a proposal, they can be anything! However, because I am just starting research, I am not sure yet what I want to observe, but I just want the experience of wiring such proposals.

And I'm just curious, how do I even begin knowing and then writing what observations I need?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You should look at previous proposals. Your professor can help you with that. One thing you will notice they have in common is that none of them use the non-word "wanna".

Related to How to know what proposal to write for observation?

1. What is the purpose of writing a proposal for observation?

The purpose of writing a proposal for observation is to clearly outline your research question or hypothesis, the methods and procedures you will use to conduct the observation, and the potential significance and impact of your study. It also serves as a formal request for permission and funding to conduct your observation.

2. How do I know which research question or hypothesis to focus on?

Before writing your proposal, it is important to carefully consider your research interests and the gaps in current knowledge that you want to address. This will help you determine a specific and feasible research question or hypothesis for your observation.

3. What elements should be included in a proposal for observation?

A proposal for observation typically includes a title, abstract, introduction, literature review, research question or hypothesis, methods and procedures, expected outcomes, timeline, and budget. It may also include a justification for the study and potential implications of the findings.

4. What is the importance of including a literature review in the proposal?

A literature review helps to provide context for your research question or hypothesis by summarizing and analyzing previous studies and findings related to your topic. It also demonstrates your understanding of the current state of knowledge and how your study will contribute to the existing body of research.

5. How can I make my proposal stand out and increase its chances of being accepted?

To make your proposal stand out, it is important to clearly and concisely communicate your research question or hypothesis, the significance of your study, and the methods you will use to conduct your observation. You should also ensure that your proposal is well-organized, free of errors, and supported by relevant and current literature. Additionally, consider seeking feedback from colleagues or mentors before submitting your proposal.