How Can You Learn ROOT If You're New to C++?

• Thread starter welatiger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary, to learn ROOT, it is recommended to have a good understanding of C++ and object-oriented programming. Knowledge of data analysis in particle physics, different types of plots and variables, fitting functions, and statistics can also be helpful. While ROOT can be challenging for beginners, it is suggested to first learn the basics of C++ and then focus on the physics aspects. Some may find ROOT to be a difficult way to learn C++, but others may appreciate its unique features. "Object-Oriented Programming in C++" by Robert Lafore may be a good resource for learning C++.
welatiger
How to learn ROOT ??

What do i need to learn ROOT ?
and what do i need in c++ to learn ROOT?

Technology news on Phys.org

ROOT is basically a library of (a lot of) classes and things for C++, so in my opinion you at least need to learn how to express yourself in C++, and how an object oriented language like C++ works. To understand the things that ROOT can do it is good if you know stuff about how data is analysed in particle physics, what different plots are used for, different types of variables, special fitting functions (Breit-Wigner for example), some statistics etc.I know it's not very easy to learn ROOT though, I've tried myself and if you're an absolute beginner it's very tough.

Personally, I would begin by learning the basics of C++, the syntax, different basic classes etc. Then I would start focusing on the physics stuff.

You want to learn the basics of C++ really well. Stuff like pointers, functions, classes, inheritance, and object-orientism. IMO, ROOT is a terrible way to be introduced to C++ and is really annoying in a lot of ways.

However, now that I'm using some other statistical programs like R I keep on wanting to yell at it "why isn't this like ROOT!" :)

thanks so much
hoping i got it
IS "object-oriented programming in c++ by Robert Lafore" good to learn c++?

I have used ROOT extensively in my research and I can provide some insight into how to best learn it. ROOT is a powerful data analysis and visualization software used in the particle physics community. To learn ROOT, it is important to have a strong foundation in C++ programming language, as ROOT is primarily written in C++. If you are new to C++, I recommend starting with basic C++ tutorials and familiarizing yourself with concepts such as data types, control structures, and functions before diving into ROOT.

Once you have a good understanding of C++, you can start learning ROOT. The official ROOT website (https://root.cern.ch/) provides a wealth of resources including tutorials, documentation, and user guides. I highly recommend going through the ROOT tutorials and trying out the examples provided. This will give you a hands-on experience with the software and help you understand its capabilities.

Additionally, there are many online resources such as YouTube tutorials, blogs, and forums where you can find helpful tips and tricks for using ROOT. You can also join online communities or attend workshops and conferences to connect with other ROOT users and learn from their experiences.

In terms of what you need to learn ROOT, having a basic understanding of data analysis and visualization techniques will be beneficial. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of statistics and data structures. However, these are not prerequisites and you can learn these concepts along with ROOT.

In summary, to learn ROOT, you will need a strong foundation in C++ and a willingness to explore and experiment with the software. With dedication and practice, you will be able to use ROOT for your data analysis and visualization needs. Happy learning!

1. What is ROOT and why is it important for scientists?

ROOT is a software framework developed by CERN for data analysis and visualization in high-energy physics experiments. It is important for scientists because it provides a user-friendly environment for handling large datasets and performing complex statistical analyses.

2. What are the steps involved in learning ROOT?

The first step is to download and install ROOT on your computer. Next, familiarize yourself with the basic structure and functionality of the framework. Then, practice using the various tools and libraries available in ROOT. Finally, start using ROOT for your own data analysis projects.

3. Do I need to know C++ to use ROOT?

While a basic understanding of C++ can be helpful, it is not necessary to know C++ in order to use ROOT. The framework also supports other programming languages such as Python and Java.

4. What are some important C++ basics to know for using ROOT?

Some important C++ basics to know for using ROOT include data types, control structures, functions, and classes. It is also helpful to have an understanding of object-oriented programming concepts.

5. Are there any resources available for learning ROOT?

Yes, there are various resources available for learning ROOT such as online tutorials, user guides, and community forums. Additionally, CERN offers training courses and workshops for using ROOT in high-energy physics research.