How to load the .m file on clicking the button in the GUI

In summary, the conversation is about someone new to Matlab wanting to load a .m file by clicking a button in their GUI. They have added 3 buttons and want to automatically execute the .m file when the first button is clicked. They are having trouble loading the .m file and have included code they have used. A solution is provided using a callback function and the use of uigetfile to select the file.
renuka1011
Hi...

Me too new to this concept. I too want to load a .m file by pressing the button in the GUI.

I am the beginner to matlab. I have added 3 buttons to my gui and if i click on the first button means then i want the .m file stored in the same directory be loaded and automatically that .m file will begin its execution. I don't know how to load the .m file on clicking the button in my gui window.Please help me.

and the code that i have used is

[FileName,PathName] = uigetfile('*.m','Select the file');
if FileName==0, return, end

Struct1 = load( fullfile(PathName,FileName) );
Structname = fieldnames(Struct1);

but the .m file is not loaded i have error in this code..

plese help me

Physics news on Phys.org
to solve this issue.If you want to load a .m file when a button is clicked on the GUI, you can use the following code: hButton = uicontrol('Style','pushbutton', 'String','Load File', 'position',[120 10 80 25]);set(hButton,'Callback',@(hObject,eventdata)loadFile_callback(hObject,eventdata));function loadFile_callback(hObject, eventdata)[FileName,PathName] = uigetfile('*.m','Select the file');if FileName==0, return, endStruct1 = load( fullfile(PathName,FileName) );Structname = fieldnames(Struct1);end

1. How do I load a .m file on clicking a button in a GUI?

To load a .m file on clicking a button in a GUI, you will need to create a callback function for the button. Within this function, you can use the "load" function to load the .m file and execute its contents. Make sure to specify the correct path to the .m file within the "load" function.

2. Can I use the "load" function in a GUI callback function?

Yes, the "load" function can be used in a GUI callback function to load and execute a .m file. Just make sure to specify the correct path to the .m file within the "load" function.

3. How can I specify the path to the .m file in the "load" function?

The path to the .m file can be specified in the "load" function by using the full path (e.g. C:\Users\username\file.m) or a relative path (e.g. file.m). If the .m file is located in the same directory as the GUI, you can simply use the file name without any path.

4. What if I want to load a specific function from the .m file?

If you want to load a specific function from the .m file, you can use the "function" keyword in the "load" function. For example, if you want to load a function called "myFunction" from the file "file.m", your code would look like this: load('file.m', 'myFunction').

5. Is there a way to check if the .m file was successfully loaded?

Yes, you can use the "exist" function to check if the .m file was successfully loaded. This function will return a value of 2 if the .m file exists and can be loaded. If the file does not exist or cannot be loaded, the "exist" function will return a value of 0 or 7, respectively. Make sure to use the correct path to the .m file in the "exist" function.