How to make a good-looking scientific review

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different programs for creating diagrams and writing equations. The person is looking for recommendations on programs that can handle basic equations and diagrams, and the use of PowerPoint and MathType is suggested as a suitable option.
JD_PM
Hi PhysicsForums community!

I am writing a short review on Optical Tweezers. I started with word but got tired of copy-pasting pics of equations using MathJax and ,besides, diagrams look pretty bad.

What do you recommend for making up diagrams and writing equations?

I have been thinking of Latex.

I really like how diagrams look on both Griffiths' books on Introduction to Electrodynamics 4th Edition and Introduction to Quantum Mechanics 3rd Edition.

Any idea on what programmes do they use to make those?

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is very vague.

First of all, how complicated are these equations? I’ve written some very complex equation in Word using MathType.

Secondly, how complicated are the diagrams? PowerPoint can handle quite a range of things that needed to be drawn. I’ve used it quite a bit in publications, and my lecture presentations.

There is no point is suggesting something as complex as AutoCad if all you want to do is something rudimentary.

Zz.

Likes JD_PM
ZapperZ said:
First of all, how complicated are these equations? I’ve written some very complex equation in Word using MathType.

Really simple ones.

My entire explanation is based on Newton's second Law for momentum:

$$\vec F = \frac{d \vec p}{dt}$$

And basic High School and first Physics College Optics (Jewett and Serway-Tipler).

ZapperZ said:
Secondly, how complicated are the diagrams? PowerPoint can handle quite a range of things that needed to be drawn. I’ve used it quite a bit in publications, and my lecture presentations.

I am interested in learning how to make up these kind of diagrams:

Screenshot (367).png

Screenshot (368).png

These are coming from:

Then PowerPoint and MathType are more than sufficient.
Zz.

Likes JD_PM

1. How do I structure a scientific review?

A good-looking scientific review should have a clear structure that includes an introduction, background information, methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. This will help organize your thoughts and make it easier for readers to follow your review.

2. What should I include in the introduction of a scientific review?

The introduction should provide an overview of the topic and its significance, as well as a brief summary of the studies or research being reviewed. It should also clearly state the purpose of the review and any specific research questions or hypotheses being addressed.

3. How do I choose which studies to include in my review?

When selecting studies to include in your review, it is important to consider the relevance and quality of the research. Look for studies that are recent, well-designed, and have a significant impact on the topic. It is also important to consider any potential biases in the research and include a variety of perspectives.

4. What should be included in the discussion section of a scientific review?

The discussion section should analyze and interpret the results of the studies being reviewed. It should also compare and contrast the findings of different studies, identify any patterns or inconsistencies, and discuss the implications of the research for the overall topic. It is also important to acknowledge any limitations of the studies and suggest areas for future research.

5. How do I ensure that my scientific review is well-written and visually appealing?

To make a good-looking scientific review, it is important to use clear and concise language, avoid jargon, and provide relevant and accurate information. Use headings and subheadings to organize your review and make it visually appealing. Include figures and tables when appropriate to help illustrate key points. It is also important to proofread your review for any spelling or grammatical errors.