Create a Poll on PhysicsForums: Step-by-Step Guide

• Complaint
  • Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating a poll on physicsforums and the limitations and arrangements of polls in different forums. The option to create a poll is available when starting a thread, but it may be limited to certain forums. The process of creating a poll is explained and it is noted that polls are only allowed in the General board. It is also mentioned that polls were disabled in technical forums due to their lack of value, but have been fixed in a new version. The conversation ends with a discussion on the odd arrangement of poll options and the decision to avoid polls in technical forums.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I did some searching here on forums and a search in a search engine but find no mechanism and no instructions for how to create a poll on physicsforums. How do we create a poll here? Where do we put a poll?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the rights for it (might be limited to some forums?): While you start a thread, there is an "Start Add a poll" option at the very bottom.

Last edited:
Maybe I do not have the privilege, then, to make a poll.

Users without any additional rights have the right to create polls here in this forum for example. If you don't have it then it must be a bug.
The arrangement of the options is a bit odd.

poll.png

Attachments

• poll.png
    poll.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 427
I figured out how. I made the poll. It seems must be made in General board. ADD POLL, and then after forming the question and options, CREATE THREAD button. Thanks for the image showing what I needed to see. I am assuming we create polls ONLY in the General board.

Yes polls in the technical forums were disabled years ago in a decision that most weren't of value. GD is one of the few areas where they are active.

mfb said:
The arrangement of the options is a bit odd.
It's party due to XF's setup. It's been fixed in the new version.

In technical forums we ended with polls like "Is 17 a prime number? Yes, No". Decision to avoid them was rather obvious.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. How do I create a poll on PhysicsForums?

To create a poll on PhysicsForums, follow these steps:
1. Log in to your PhysicsForums account
2. Go to the forum where you want to create the poll
3. Click on the "Post New Thread" button
4. In the thread editor, click on the "Create Poll" button
5. Enter your poll question and answer options
6. Choose the poll settings (e.g. multiple choice or single choice)
7. Click on "Submit Thread" to create your poll

2. Can I add images or videos to my poll on PhysicsForums?

Yes, you can add images and videos to your poll on PhysicsForums. When creating your poll, use the "Insert Image" or "Insert Video" buttons in the thread editor to add media to your question or answer options.

3. Can I edit my poll after I have posted it on PhysicsForums?

Yes, you can edit your poll after posting it on PhysicsForums. Simply go to your poll thread and click on the "Edit" button to make changes to your poll question, answer options, or settings.

4. How do I view the results of my poll on PhysicsForums?

To view the results of your poll on PhysicsForums, go to your poll thread and click on the "View Results" button. This will show you the current vote count and percentages for each answer option.

5. Can I delete my poll on PhysicsForums?

Yes, you can delete your poll on PhysicsForums. To do so, go to your poll thread and click on the "Delete Thread" button. Keep in mind that once a poll is deleted, it cannot be recovered.