How to Make a Vertical Stabilizer for a Model Space Shuttle Discovery

In summary: The vertical stabilizer is not damaged, it's just missing the stabilizer.Making the vertical stabilizer was harder than I thought. I had no idea what it even looked like, but after searching for drawings, etc, I used this drawing to capture the stabilizer:I then rescaled it and printed it onto a sheet of decal paper. I put the decal on a plastic piece cut to the correct size. Then with a little paint:The vertical stabilizer is a beautiful black color with a white star in the center.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I hope it's appropriate to post a picture of a battery operated model of the Space Shuttle Discovery which flew in the 1960's ; lights and sounds.

I came across it at the antique mall. It's missing it's vertical stabilizer, but I can make that,

IMG_3327.JPG

NASA 1.gif

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
The shuttle Discovery first flew in 1983. Fun model!

Likes dlgoff
Do the Bay Doors open and the mechanical arm can come out?

Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
Do the Bay Doors open and the mechanical arm can come out?
The doors do open but no movable arm. Then landing gears, wheels & nose, can be pulled down out of their compartments.

Likes Klystron
dlgoff said:
The doors do open but no movable arm.
So I predict you will be building more than just the vertical stabilizer! :cool:

• Skeptical
Likes dlgoff
hutchphd said:
The shuttle Discovery first flew in 1983. Fun model!
I remember it well. What an accomplishment.

berkeman said:
So I predict you will be building more than just the vertical stabilizer! :cool:
You know me too well. :olduhh:

Likes berkeman
dlgoff said:
I hope it's appropriate to post a picture of a battery operated model of the Space Shuttle Discovery which flew in the 1960's ; lights and sounds.

I came across it at the antique mall. It's missing it's vertical stabilizer, but I can make that,

View attachment 273260
I see two elevons in the photo. Is the model damaged or built with reentry elevons?

The wing leading edge tiles in black are a nice touch.

[edit: I retract my question. Misunderstood OP. Thanks.]

Last edited:
Klystron said:
I see two elevons in the photo. Is the model damaged or built with reentry elevons?

The wing leading edge tiles in black are a nice touch.
I don't know what you are seeing. There's no damage. Are you maybe seeing the slightly visible landing gears? As they are in the down and locked position.

There was one Canadian Arm, which was swapped around to all the Shuttles
Ah, here we go:
The Canadarm was signed over to NASA in February 1981, at Spar's Toronto plant, where it was built. After being carefully trucked to the Kennedy Space Center, it was integrated into the space shuttle Columbia in June.

The Canadarm’s first flight was with the space shuttle Columbia on 13 November 1981. Columbia was the second of NASA’s shuttle missions (also known as STS-2).

It performed well and exceeded all design goals. Between 1981 and its final flight in 2011, the Canadarm flew 90 times. In addition to Columbia, its flight history included missions with all of NASA’s other shuttles: Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour.

(from: https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/canadarm)

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
  • Love
Likes dlgoff and berkeman
dlgoff said:
It's missing it's vertical stabilizer, but I can make that,
Making the vertical stabilizer was harder than I thought. I had no idea what it even looked like, but after searching for drawings, etc, I used this drawing to capture the stabilizer:

orbiter_drawing-2.gif

I then rescaled it and printed it onto a sheet of decal paper. I put the decal on a plastic piece cut to the correct size. Then with a little paint:

smallIMG_3353.jpg

Likes berkeman

1. How do I determine the size and shape of the vertical stabilizer for a model space shuttle Discovery?

The size and shape of the vertical stabilizer for a model space shuttle Discovery can be determined by referencing the dimensions and specifications of the real space shuttle. This information can be found in NASA's official documents or online resources.

2. What materials should I use to make the vertical stabilizer for a model space shuttle Discovery?

The materials used for the vertical stabilizer should be lightweight yet sturdy, such as balsa wood or foam board. These materials can easily be shaped and cut to the desired size and shape.

3. How do I attach the vertical stabilizer to the model space shuttle Discovery?

The vertical stabilizer can be attached to the model space shuttle Discovery using glue or adhesive tape. Make sure to secure it firmly in place to ensure stability during flight.

4. Can I add any additional features to the vertical stabilizer for a model space shuttle Discovery?

Yes, you can add features such as elevators or rudders to the vertical stabilizer for added functionality and realism. These can be made from the same materials as the stabilizer itself.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making the vertical stabilizer for a model space shuttle Discovery?

It is important to handle any sharp tools or materials with caution and to always wear protective gear. Additionally, make sure to follow instructions carefully and seek assistance if needed to ensure safe construction of the vertical stabilizer.