Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make contour plots for 2D Finite Element problems

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    To the moderator: Please shift this to the appropriate forum if this isn't the place for it. EDIT -- It seems this (https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189) is the right place for it? Sorry I overlooked this forum.

-----
    Hi everyone,

I am solving some 2D boundary value problems in electromagnetics, using the Finite Element Method to familiarize myself with the method before I can apply it to my senior project. I have written a program in MATLAB which to solve the Laplace Equation using the FEM, on a rectangular solution domain defined by the coordinates (0,0), (1,0), (1,1), (0,1) [a square in this case]. The boundary conditions are

V(x = 0) = V(x = 1) = 0
    V(y = 0) = 0
    V(y = 1) = V_0 (some fixed constant value)

I have been able to write a program that generates a mesh for this region (please refer to attached diagram), and computes the value of the potential at every non-boundary node of the region (points of the triangular elements). Now, I need to use the element shape functions to interpolate the potential at points interior to an element using

(a) the values of the potential at its 3 nodes
    (b) Lagrange polynomials (element shape functions)

I want to obtain a contour plot for the solution in the entire solution domain. What is the best and easiest way to go about this?

I thought of specifying several points within each triangular region and use the interpolation equation to calculate the values of the potential at those points. Then I would have a set of points (x, y, V(x,y)) which I could use to make a surface plot. I got a very poor plot when I tried this, so I am guessing there is something wrong in the way I've plotted this.

Attached Files:

• mesh.jpg
      mesh.jpg
      File size:
      23.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted