How to make matrix positive definite (when it is not)?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to make a non-positive definite matrix positive definite. The suggested approach is to obtain its eigen decomposition and change any negative eigenvalues to zero. It is also mentioned that there was an error in creating the matrix, which has now been resolved.
colstat
Suppose I have a matrix that looks like this
[,1] [,2]
[1,] 2.415212e-09 9.748863e-10
[2,] -2.415212e-09 5.029136e-10

How do I make it positive definite? I am not looking for specific numerical value answer, but a general approach to this problem.

I have heard singular value decomposition, or getting some eigenvalue? Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "make" a matrix positive definite? Since this matrix is NOT positive definite you must mean to change it into one that is. What is the relationship of this new matrix to the original supposed to be?

HallsofIvy said:
What do you mean by "make" a matrix positive definite? Since this matrix is NOT positive definite you must mean to change it into one that is. What is the relationship of this new matrix to the original supposed to be?

I was hoping to "make" it positive using some trick, but after looking around again I am wrong. Like you said, if it's NOT positive definite, then it's not.

I also realized there's an error when putting together the matrix. So, problem solved I guess.

From an engineer point of view what I would do if I had a non-positive definite matrix is:
  1. Obtain its eigen decomposition.
  2. Changes the negative eigenvalues for zeroes.

I can provide a general approach to making a matrix positive definite. First, let's define what a positive definite matrix is. A positive definite matrix is a square matrix where all of its eigenvalues are positive. This means that when you multiply the matrix by any non-zero vector, the resulting vector will have a positive length.

Now, to make a matrix positive definite, we can use either the singular value decomposition (SVD) or eigenvalue decomposition. Both methods involve finding the eigenvalues of the matrix, which are the values that satisfy the equation Av = λv, where A is the matrix, v is a non-zero vector, and λ is the eigenvalue.

If we use SVD, we can decompose the matrix into three matrices: U, Σ, and V. Here, U and V are orthogonal matrices and Σ is a diagonal matrix with the singular values of A on its diagonal. To make the matrix positive definite, we can simply replace any negative singular values on Σ with their absolute values. This will result in a new matrix that is positive definite.

Alternatively, we can use eigenvalue decomposition, which decomposes the matrix into two matrices: P and D. P is an orthogonal matrix and D is a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues of A on its diagonal. To make the matrix positive definite, we can replace any negative eigenvalues on D with their absolute values. This will also result in a new matrix that is positive definite.

In summary, to make a matrix positive definite, we can use either SVD or eigenvalue decomposition and replace any negative singular values or eigenvalues with their absolute values. This will result in a new matrix that satisfies the definition of a positive definite matrix.

1. What does it mean for a matrix to be positive definite?

A matrix is positive definite if all of its eigenvalues are positive. This means that for any nonzero vector, when multiplied by the matrix, the resulting vector will be in the same direction as the original vector.

2. Why would a matrix not be positive definite?

A matrix may not be positive definite if it has one or more negative eigenvalues. This can happen if the matrix is not symmetric or if there is a combination of positive and negative eigenvalues.

3. How can I check if a matrix is positive definite?

To check if a matrix is positive definite, you can find its eigenvalues using a calculator or a computer program. If all of the eigenvalues are positive, then the matrix is positive definite. Alternatively, you can also check if the matrix satisfies the positive definite property, where all the leading principal minors are positive.

4. What are some methods for making a matrix positive definite?

One method is to use the Cholesky decomposition, where the matrix is decomposed into a lower triangular matrix and its transpose. Another method is to use the spectral decomposition, where the matrix is diagonalized and any negative eigenvalues are replaced with zeros. Additionally, you can also add a small positive value to the diagonal elements of the matrix to make it positive definite.

5. Can I always make a matrix positive definite?

No, it is not always possible to make a matrix positive definite. If the matrix has one or more negative eigenvalues, it cannot be made positive definite. In this case, you may need to use a different matrix or approach for your problem.