How to Post Images Outside of General Discussion

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, Zooby is asking for advice on how to post multiple diagrams with accompanying text in a way that allows for easy reference. They mention that attachments in the General Discussion forum can be easily controlled, but are unsure if this applies to other forums. Another user suggests using img tags or URLs to display the images, and Zooby thanks them for the suggestion.
zoobyshoe
Dear PF,

I would like to post three diagrams I drew in conjunction with text. I would like to present the diagrams one by one so the images can be readily referred to while reading the text that relates to each image.

When I went to try this it seems the attachments are all shunted to the end of the post, which will make it much more difficult for anyone trying to follow my post.

In General Discussion the placement of images can be completely controlled. Is there no way to do this in the other forums?

Your Pal,

Zooby

Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
In General Discussion the placement of images can be completely controlled.
Are you sure about that? I thought attachments always appear thumbnailed at the bottom, and the person reading your post must click on them to see a large version. If you want the actual image to be displayed, you have to put the URL of the picture file between img tags.

Fredrik said:
Are you sure about that? I thought attachments always appear thumbnailed at the bottom, and the person reading your post must click on them to see a large version. If you want the actual image to be displayed, you have to put the URL of the picture file between img tags.
Yes, you're right about attachments in GD. But I don't think you can do the url thing outside of General Discussion.

zoobyshoe said:
Yes, you're right about attachments in GD. But I don't think you can do the url thing outside of General Discussion.
At one time there were restrictions, but I believe most, if not all forums have the ability to add urls now, be sure that you are in "advanced" mode and if you see the picture frame, you can do it.

Evo said:
At one time there were restrictions, but I believe most, if not all forums have the ability to add urls now, be sure that you are in "advanced" mode and if you see the picture frame, you can do it.
Thanks Evo. It's looking like I can also just use image tags, so I may put them in photobucket and do it that way.

1. How do I post images outside of the General Discussion forum?

To post images outside of the General Discussion forum, you will need to use the "Insert Image" button located in the formatting toolbar of the forum editor. Select the image file you want to upload and click "Insert". The image will then be embedded in your post.

2. Can I post images in any forum on the website?

No, you can only post images in forums that allow images to be uploaded. Some forums may have restrictions on image size or file type, so make sure to check the forum guidelines before posting.

3. How do I resize or edit an image before posting it?

You can resize or edit an image using photo editing software before uploading it to the forum. Alternatively, you can use the "Resize Image" button in the forum editor to adjust the size of the image once it has been inserted into your post.

4. Are there any limitations on the number of images I can post in a single forum post?

Each forum may have its own limitations on the number of images you can post in a single post. It's best to check the forum guidelines or contact a moderator if you are unsure. Additionally, please be considerate of other users and avoid posting excessive amounts of images in a single post.

5. Can I post images from external websites or only from my computer?

You can post images from external websites by using the image URL instead of uploading from your computer. However, please make sure you have the appropriate rights to use the image before posting it on the forum. It is recommended to host the image on a reputable and reliable website to ensure it remains visible in your post.