How to prove a mathematical logical problem with predicates?

• Thread starter Xamaa
  • Start date
Xamaa
1 Prove that the following argument is coherent, that is, based on the premises, draw the conclusion: Every city with more than 5 million inhabitants is a metropolis. ABC is a city with more than 5 million inhabitants. There is some city that is a metropolis.

I'm trying this:

∀x (City with more than 5 million inhabitants (ABC, x) → is a metropolis (x, ABC)
(metropolis (ABC)

1.∀x (City with more than 5 million inhabitants (ABC, x) → is a metropolis premise (x, ABC)

City with more than 5 million inhabitants (ABC) premisse
(ABC) is a metropolis premisse

City with more than 5 million inhabitants (ABC) → is a metropolis S x over ABC (1)
4, (ABC) is metropolis MP(3.2)

Physics news on Phys.org
A few things:
1. The form of your post is very difficult to follow. You have a 1, a 4, but no 2 or 3. You have things labeled as premises in very odd (and likely incorrect) ways. I would lay out everything a little more cleanly than this if I were you.
2. This looks like a homework problem. I'll ping a mentor to get it moved into the homework section.
3. For problems where you have quantifiers with no free variables along with specific instantiations, you're going to need to do introduction and elimination of quantifiers at some point in your argument.

I cant remember the exact syntax rules but I think you have to use contradiction to prove these. It will go like this:

1. Premise: ForAll x If x pop > 5mill then x is a metro
2. Premise: ThereExist y such that pop y > 5mill
3. ASSUME: Not Exists z such that z is a metro
4. From 3 therefore, For All z z is not a metro
5. From 3,1 For all z, z <= 5mill
6. From 5,2 Contradiction
7. Therefore NOT 3

This is a box proof where you make an assumption and show it leads to a contradiction.

Kavi said:
I cant remember the exact syntax rules but I think you have to use contradiction to prove these. It will go like this:

1. Premise: ForAll x If x pop > 5mill then x is a metro
2. Premise: ThereExist y such that pop y > 5mill
3. ASSUME: Not Exists z such that z is a metro
4. From 3 therefore, For All z z is not a metro
5. From 3,1 For all z, z <= 5mill
6. From 5,2 Contradiction
7. Therefore NOT 3

This is a box proof where you make an assumption and show it leads to a contradiction.
You definitely don't need to assume a contradiction. Also, 2 is not a premise. 2 can be derived from the premise "ABC is a city with more than 5 million inhabitants" by using existential introduction:
##P(a)\vdash\exists x P(x)##
but this is also not necessary in the proof.

Likes Xamaa
TeethWhitener said:
You definitely don't need to assume a contradiction. Also, 2 is not a premise. 2 can be derived from the premise "ABC is a city with more than 5 million inhabitants" by using existential introduction:
##P(a)\vdash\exists x P(x)##
but this is also not necessary in the proof.

It was a long time since I studied this but from the OPs wording

PREMISE1: Every city with more than 5 million inhabitants is a metropolis.
PREMISE2: ABC is a city with more than 5 million inhabitants.
CONCLUSION: There is some city that is a metropolis.

(Edit: Ok I understand, I think I maybe missed a formal step, I just took 2. as a premise instead of deriving it from the rule you posted but as I mentioned I cant remember all the exact details)

I still think it must be proven by contradiction but i cant remember for sure...

Thanks guys for your precious time, the query has been solved now. Really Appreciated.... .

IIRC, you need to use instantiation, as used in FOL.

Likes TeethWhitener

1. How do I approach proving a mathematical logical problem with predicates?

To prove a mathematical logical problem with predicates, you should start by clearly defining the predicates and their corresponding variables. Then, use logical deduction and mathematical principles to arrive at a conclusion. It is important to carefully follow the rules of logic and provide a clear and organized proof.

2. What are the key elements of a proof using predicates?

The key elements of a proof using predicates include clearly defined predicates and variables, logical reasoning and deduction, and a conclusion that follows from the premises. It is also important to use mathematical principles and rules of logic to support your proof.

3. How do I know if my proof using predicates is valid?

A proof using predicates is considered valid if it follows the rules of logic and mathematical principles. This means that the conclusion must logically follow from the premises and there should be no errors or contradictions in the proof. It is also helpful to have someone else review your proof for any potential errors or flaws.

4. Can I use examples to support my proof using predicates?

Yes, using examples can be a useful tool in proving a mathematical logical problem with predicates. Examples can help illustrate the application of the predicates and make the proof more understandable. However, it is important to also use logical deduction and mathematical principles in your proof.

5. How can I improve my skills in proving mathematical logical problems with predicates?

To improve your skills in proving mathematical logical problems with predicates, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with various types of problems and their solutions. You can also seek guidance from experienced mathematicians or take courses in mathematical logic to enhance your understanding and skills.