How to prove whether a function is differentiable

In summary, the problem is to prove that for a differentiable function f at x, the derivative f'(x) can be written as the limit of (f(x+h) - f(x-h))/2h as h approaches 0. This can be rewritten using the substitution u = x-h.
haha1234

Homework Statement

Suppose that f is differentiable at x . Prove that ƒ(x)=lim[h→0] [itex]\frac{ƒ(x+h)-ƒ(x-h)}{2h}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that it may be proved by first principle,but I cannot rewrite the limit into the form of lim[h→0] [itex]\frac{ƒ(x+2h)-ƒ(x)}{2h}[/itex]
So how can I solve this question?
THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably mean f'(x). You can rewrite it via u = x-h.

haha1234 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that f is differentiable at x . Prove that ƒ(x)=lim[h→0] [itex]\frac{ƒ(x+h)-ƒ(x-h)}{2h}[/itex]

I assume this is [itex]f'(x) = ...[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that it may be proved by first principle,but I cannot rewrite the limit into the form of lim[h→0] [itex]\frac{ƒ(x+2h)-ƒ(x)}{2h}[/itex]
So how can I solve this question?
THANKS

Use [itex]f(x+h) - f(x-h) = (f(x+h) - f(x)) + (f(x) - f(x-h))[/itex]

Likes 1 person
pasmith said:
I assume this is [itex]f'(x) = ...[/itex]

Use [itex]f(x+h) - f(x-h) = (f(x+h) - f(x)) + (f(x) - f(x-h))[/itex]

Sorry,but it maybe equals to 0.:confused:

1. What is the definition of differentiability?

The concept of differentiability is a mathematical term used to describe the smoothness of a function. A function is considered differentiable at a point if it has a well-defined derivative at that point, meaning that the function is continuous and has a defined slope at that point. In other words, the function is considered differentiable if it has a unique tangent line at that point.

2. How do you prove that a function is differentiable at a point?

To prove that a function is differentiable at a point, you can use the definition of differentiability. This involves showing that the function is continuous at that point and that the limit of the difference quotient (the slope of the secant line between two points on the function) exists and is equal to the slope of the tangent line at that point. You can also use the rules of differentiation to show that the function is differentiable at that point.

3. Can a function be differentiable at some points and not others?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be differentiable at some points and not others. This is because differentiability is a local property - it only applies to a specific point on the function. A function may be differentiable at one point but not at another if it has a sharp corner or a discontinuity at that point.

4. What is the difference between differentiability and continuity?

Differentiability and continuity are related concepts, but they are not the same. A function is considered continuous if it is unbroken and has no holes or gaps on its graph. Differentiability, on the other hand, refers to the smoothness of a function at a specific point. A function can be continuous at a point but not differentiable, and vice versa.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to determine differentiability?

Yes, there are some shortcuts or criteria that can help you determine whether a function is differentiable at a point. For example, if a function is composed of basic elementary functions (such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions), it is always differentiable at every point in its domain. Additionally, if a function is continuous and has a defined slope at a point, it is also differentiable at that point. However, these are not foolproof methods and it is always best to use the definition of differentiability to prove it rigorously.