How to put magnetic field in the wave equation

In summary: },where c is a constant and \epsilon_o and \mu_0 are the electric and magnetic permeability of free space respectively.
fabsuk
Could someone please help, i think this is gauss's law but I am not sure how to answer it as they give me a wave equation and i don't know how to put magnetic field in as well. Help would be much appreciated

Question

suppose that an appropriate device is used to genereate an osccilating electric field in a limited region of the xy plane of a Cartesian Reference frame ,as described by

E(r,t) ezE0sin(wt) for

√x(squared)+Y(squared) <(equal ) R

a) determine the expression for the magnetic field induced by this electric field in the xy plane at a distance r<R from the origin

b)at a distance r>R from the origin assuming that in the 1st approximation E=0 in this region

c) discuss if u would expect an induced an electric field to also be present in the region r>R of xy plane

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fabsuk,

You need to take a step back from the wave equation and look directly at the Maxwell equations. You know the electric field in some region and you want to find the magnetic field. This is will be possible because Maxwell's equations relate the two fields.

Try to make some progress with this hint, and let me know how you do.

yes but why do they give me an equation of a circlr

delta cross E= - db/dt

can't do it

i don't know what to differentiate E with respect to

i know the answer is 0 outside sphere but inside sphere i am clueless.

please help.

fabsuk said:
can't do it

i don't know what to differentiate E with respect to

i know the answer is 0 outside sphere but inside sphere i am clueless.

please help.
Physics Monkey already gave you a clue :smile:. Use Maxwell's relation for the electric and magnetic vectors. OK here goes: If E and B represent the magnitude of the electric and magnetic fields respectively:
[tex]{E\over B} = c = {{1\over \sqrt{\epsilon_o \mu_0}}[/tex]

1. How do you incorporate magnetic field into the wave equation?

The magnetic field is represented as the curl of the magnetic vector potential in the wave equation. This is known as the Maxwell-Faraday equation and it is one of the four Maxwell's equations that govern electromagnetism.

2. What is the significance of including magnetic field in the wave equation?

Including the magnetic field in the wave equation allows us to fully describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It also helps us understand the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and how they interact with each other.

3. How does the presence of magnetic field affect the propagation of electromagnetic waves?

The magnetic field can influence the direction and polarization of electromagnetic waves. It can also affect the speed at which the wave travels and can cause the wave to refract or diffract.

4. Can the magnetic field be manipulated in the wave equation?

Yes, the magnetic field can be manipulated by changing the magnitude and direction of the magnetic vector potential. This can be done by varying the current or charge density in the surrounding space.

5. Are there any other equations that need to be considered when incorporating magnetic field in the wave equation?

In addition to the Maxwell-Faraday equation, the wave equation also includes the Maxwell-Ampere equation which relates the magnetic field to the electric field. Both of these equations must be considered when incorporating magnetic field in the wave equation.