How to rank random function from smallest to largest with inverse f included?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
gurpalc
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The graph of y=f(x) is shown below.

http://Newton.science.sfu.ca/cgi-bin/plot.png?file=public_public_1346904771_18810161_plot.data
Rank the following from smallest(1) to largest(4).

f−1(0)
f(0)
f(5)
f−1(5)

Homework Equations



none available

The Attempt at a Solution



f−1(0) 1
f(0) 3
f(5) 2
f−1(5) 4


Because if f(0) is 4, wouldn't that make the co-ordinates (0,4) so inverse would be (4, 0) so inverse f(0) would be 0 no? But I know this is wrong. I don't what I am doing wrong.
Please help
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Knowing that f(0)= 4 tells you that [itex]f^{-1}(4)= 0[/itex], not [itex]f ^{-1}(0)[/itex]. What you need is some x such that f(x)= 0. Where is f(x)= 0 on your graph?