How to reach 2,000 Fº at home?

• Thread starter eduardojgg91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of reaching 2,000 Fº for blacksmithing at home. The suggested method is using torches and an outdoor wood stove to create a smelting chamber. The importance of finding a local organization and in-person mentor for learning blacksmithing is emphasized.
eduardojgg91
Hello everybody.

I wonder how can I reach 2,000 Fº at home, the fuel. The thing is I want to shape, and form some metal pieces. But I first need to reach 2k Fº to start shaping the metal. It is a bit thick so I can't work it in cold.

I want to work with Blacksmithing here at my backyard. I just don't know what materials I need to start with. I don't know nothing about this.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
2000º F is about 1300 K, which corresponds to a slightly orangish red color. I would guess that you could use charcoal or wood or anything else that would produce coals and that the more important thing will be to have some bellows or other system for adding oxygen to the coals. Of course, that is a completely uninformed guess so take it for what it is worth which probably isn't very much.

The best way to learn about blacksmithing is to find another person who already knows how to do it. You should find someone in person, rather than online, so they can show you what is involved.

A skill like blacksmithing would be extremely difficult, and potentially dangerous, to try learning over the internet.

If you google "blacksmith" and your state/province/city, you might find a local organization that you could contact. Something along the lines of this:
http://njba.abana-chapter.com/

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your budget. I just did a little random digging and found a few torches here: http://www.bernzomatic.com/quickfire-hand-torch/quickfire-faqs.aspx. These cost about $70 per pop, but it says they go to 3600 deg F. You could get 2 of these guys, and an outdoor wood stove, drill a few holes in the stove and then point these guys into the chamber. Set up a ventilation flow top to bottom and you've probably got a nice little smelting chamber going.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello,

Reaching 2,000 Fº at home can be a challenging task, especially for someone who is not familiar with the necessary materials and techniques. I would recommend caution and careful planning before attempting to reach such high temperatures in a home setting.

Firstly, it is important to note that reaching 2,000 Fº will require a significant amount of heat and energy. Therefore, it is crucial to have the appropriate equipment and safety measures in place to prevent any accidents.

To reach 2,000 Fº, you will need a heat source that can generate high temperatures consistently. This could be a gas or electric furnace, a propane torch, or even a kiln. It is essential to research and choose the best heat source for your specific needs and safety precautions.

Next, you will need a suitable fuel source that can sustain and reach 2,000 Fº. This could be coal, charcoal, propane, or natural gas. Again, it is crucial to research and choose the right fuel source for your specific heat source and safety precautions.

Another crucial factor to consider is the insulation and containment of the heat source. You will need a suitable container or chamber that can withstand high temperatures and contain the heat to reach 2,000 Fº. This could be a forge, a kiln, or a furnace specifically designed for high-temperature applications.

Lastly, I would highly recommend seeking guidance from experienced blacksmiths or professionals in the field before attempting to reach 2,000 Fº at home. They can provide valuable insights and advice on the necessary materials and techniques to safely and successfully shape metal at high temperatures.

In conclusion, reaching 2,000 Fº at home is a complex task that requires careful planning, appropriate equipment, and safety precautions. I urge you to thoroughly research and seek guidance before attempting to reach such high temperatures in a home setting. Safety should always be the top priority in any scientific experiment or project. Best of luck in your blacksmithing endeavors.

1. How can I safely reach 2,000 Fº at home?

Reaching 2,000 Fº at home can be dangerous and should only be attempted by trained professionals with proper safety equipment. It is not recommended for individuals to attempt this on their own.

2. What equipment do I need to reach 2,000 Fº at home?

To reach 2,000 Fº at home, you will need a high-powered furnace or kiln, as well as proper safety equipment such as heat-resistant gloves and a face shield.

3. Can I use a regular oven to reach 2,000 Fº?

No, a regular oven does not have the capacity to reach 2,000 Fº. You will need a specialized furnace or kiln for this temperature.

4. Is it safe to reach 2,000 Fº at home for cooking or food preparation?

No, reaching 2,000 Fº at home is not safe for cooking or food preparation. This temperature is typically used for industrial processes and can be dangerous if not handled properly.

5. How long does it take to reach 2,000 Fº at home?

The time it takes to reach 2,000 Fº at home will vary based on the type of equipment being used and the starting temperature. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and allow the equipment to heat up gradually to avoid any potential hazards.