1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to reach 2,000 Fº at home?

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    Hello everybody.

I wonder how can I reach 2,000 Fº at home, the fuel. The thing is I want to shape, and form some metal pieces. But I first need to reach 2k Fº to start shaping the metal. It is a bit thick so I can't work it in cold.

I want to work with Blacksmithing here at my backyard. I just don't know what materials I need to start with. I don't know nothing about this.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

2000º F is about 1300 K, which corresponds to a slightly orangish red color. I would guess that you could use charcoal or wood or anything else that would produce coals and that the more important thing will be to have some bellows or other system for adding oxygen to the coals. Of course, that is a completely uninformed guess so take it for what it is worth which probably isn't very much.

4. May 9, 2010 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The best way to learn about blacksmithing is to find another person who already knows how to do it. You should find someone in person, rather than online, so they can show you what is involved.

A skill like blacksmithing would be extremely difficult, and potentially dangerous, to try learning over the internet.

If you google "blacksmith" and your state/province/city, you might find a local organization that you could contact. Something along the lines of this:
    http://njba.abana-chapter.com/

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. May 9, 2010 #4
    Depends on your budget. I just did a little random digging and found a few torches here: http://www.bernzomatic.com/quickfire-hand-torch/quickfire-faqs.aspx. These cost about $70 per pop, but it says they go to 3600 deg F. You could get 2 of these guys, and an outdoor wood stove, drill a few holes in the stove and then point these guys into the chamber. Set up a ventilation flow top to bottom and you've probably got a nice little smelting chamber going.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook