How to relate power and sound give some formulas

In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between power and sound and the need for formulas to convert sound to electricity for a feasibility study. The conversation also mentions the use of telephones and audio recording devices, and suggests a website for a calculator to convert sound power level to watts per square meter.
exilus29
can some1 teach me some formula on how to relate power(mW/W) to sound(dBv/dBSPL)?i need some formula about this two topics and relate them because we are having a feasibility study on how to convert sound to electricity and we need some formulas,i know its kind a hard to transform sound to electricity but we really need some help..hope many of you would reply need some feedback asap

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How is power related to sound?

Power and sound are related through the concept of intensity, which is a measure of the energy carried by sound waves. The power of a sound wave is directly proportional to its intensity, meaning that the greater the power, the louder the sound. This relationship can be represented by the formula P = I*A, where P is power, I is intensity, and A is the area over which the sound wave is spread.

2. What is the formula for calculating sound power?

The formula for calculating sound power is P = I*A, where P is power and I is intensity. Intensity is measured in watts per square meter, and the area (A) is typically taken to be 1 square meter. This formula can also be rearranged to solve for intensity (I = P/A) or area (A = P/I) if the other values are known.

3. How does the distance from a sound source affect its power?

The power of a sound wave decreases as the distance from the source increases. This is because the sound energy is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a decrease in intensity. The relationship between power and distance can be represented by the inverse square law, which states that the power is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

4. Can you give an example of how power and sound are related?

One example of how power and sound are related is in the field of acoustics, where sound engineers use power measurements to design and optimize sound systems. By understanding the relationship between power, intensity, and distance, they can ensure that the sound produced by a system is at the desired level and is evenly distributed throughout the listening area.

5. How does the frequency of a sound wave affect its power?

The frequency of a sound wave does not directly affect its power, as power is primarily determined by the intensity and distance from the source. However, the frequency of a sound wave can indirectly affect its perceived loudness. Low-frequency sounds generally require more power to be perceived as equally loud as high-frequency sounds, due to the sensitivity of the human ear to different frequencies.